What's new

Big little and groovy

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
just thought I’d post the largest and smallest grooves hammer I have.

The large one, a 3/4 groove, I rescued from a farmer friend who was using it for a garage door stop. It weighs 13.5 lbs . The second I found a couple miles away above the same river and it weighs in at a whopping 3.6 ounces.

anyone else is sure welcome to post their big big and small grooved pieces

F1B40E3C-978C-4A71-BD7D-4CD1506E8BD0.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Those are cool! It is still on my ''bucket List'' to find one. I have been told that they can be found in my immediate area, but I have seen more that have been found in Northeastern Montana where my dad grew up.
 
I've never found anything besides a few points, knives,and scrapers... Not even pottery.. maybe one day I'll stumble across a good spot. Cool finds you got though
 
Holy smokes ... that big grooved one is crazy don’t recall seeing many that big ever ... what do you imagine it was for ? Canoe anchor ? I dunno that’s a heavy stone tho
 
Holy smokes ... that big grooved one is crazy don’t recall seeing many that big ever ... what do you imagine it was for ? Canoe anchor ? I dunno that’s a heavy stone tho

Since it is in great shape, and shows absolutely no use wear other than some scuffing from rolling on a garage floor, I really don’t know what it was used for.
 
A friend told me that the large ones were used to keep the horses from going too far.
 
A friend told me that the large ones were used to keep the horses from going too far.

Yes old digger, they did use good sized rocks to keep their horses from running off. They could still walk around though and horse hobbles always show wear from dragging along the ground. This thing doesn't exhibit anything resembling such wear anywhere.
 
A couple of my kids are on staff at summer camp that is bisected by a river, this was laying on the deck the last time I stopped by. The staff found it while doing maintenance near the river. Not a PF but the largest I’ve been around.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565033752.572396.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565033773.230782.webp

This is the smallest one we have in the family, passed down to our generation by my GrandfatherImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565034034.995524.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565034053.905155.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565034071.330822.webp

Thanks for the invitation to tag along on this one
 
Where do these come from?
 
All SE ND except for the one on the left in the picture with the dollar bill, that was more central ND.
 
All SE ND except for the one on the left in the picture with the dollar bill, that was more central ND.

Very nice examples! Look just like some I have.

The auction at Kindred? That’s pretty south east. Or are these all personal or family finds?
 
Last edited:
Very nice examples! Look just like some I have.

The auction at Kindred? That’s pretty south east. Or are these all personal or family finds?

Thanks quito. All family finds, mostly by my Dad and Grandfather. Pretty much been all conservation tillage since I’ve been farming so a lot harder to find pieces like that since the plows were parked. We are closer to Valley City than Kindred but probably similar items since all associated with the Sheyenne River drainage. My Grandfather was a contractor as well as farmer so he found a lot of items digging basements, all of which ended up in the County Museum. Don’t know what the laws were back in the 1930s through 1960s but I think the County asked for most of those artifacts.
 
Great "rocks" guys. Family finds...Largest one is over 15lbs. Couple of 13 pounders. Don't have a weight on the smallest.

T.Rocks - Copy.webpRock smallest - Copy.webp
 
Thanks quito. All family finds, mostly by my Dad and Grandfather. Pretty much been all conservation tillage since I’ve been farming so a lot harder to find pieces like that since the plows were parked. We are closer to Valley City than Kindred but probably similar items since all associated with the Sheyenne River drainage. My Grandfather was a contractor as well as farmer so he found a lot of items digging basements, all of which ended up in the County Museum. Don’t know what the laws were back in the 1930s through 1960s but I think the County asked for most of those artifacts.

Very interesting!! Darn county!!

You wouldn’t know how the ice fishing at Ashtabula has been in recent years would you!
 
Those are nice. I love big axes too. I a have a few 14 pounders. Here is one of my favs. 12.5” just shy of 14lbs.ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1569037256.475415.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1569037277.627448.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1569037315.111488.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom