44.2 KB · Views: 671
  • yahoo5.jpg
    yahoo5.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 674
Upvote 0

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville
very cool big point. is that a line in the chert across the bottom diagonally?
I have a nice brown dovetail with a blue line across it on both sides.
Tree

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Very Nice !!! :headbang: Even with the small tip ding and the ear ding it is still a great piece :notworthy: :hello2: :icon_thumright:. I really like that material. :o is that creek stain on it or is that just the color of the stone ? :dontknow:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking big Point. I don't believe it's a Lost Lake though. The base is wrong and the notching isn't right for a Lost Lake. Lost Lakes have punch notching and that piece doesn't look to have that type of notching. Not sure what type it is, but I really don't think Lost Lake. Very nice Point though.

OP
OP
all_atv

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
Thanks guys the line is kinda a quartz filled crack, part of this crack is somewhat transparent where it is thin on the edges. Yes its creek stain on it. Heres it on a flashlight to show the vein better, also a madison with a clearer vein. And heres the Insitu.

Attachments

• quarttzvein.jpg
    quarttzvein.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 576
  • insituuu.jpg
    insituuu.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 571
OP
OP
all_atv

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
cheese said:
I see 2 other things in that in-situ at around 4:30 or 5:00. Did you pick those up too?
Ahh now thats harsh lol! You messin with me or you really see something? I'll go back in the morning! Save the pic and open it with paint and circle what you see please. I'll go back and pick it up and send it to you!

OP
OP
all_atv

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
Also I should this stream is full of gravel like rock which is all pretty sharp edged stuff so alot of it looks like blade edges. Real tiring on the eyes compared to my prefered creeks of mostly glacial and river rocks. (round and cobles)

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
There are only 2 that look like they could be points that I see. Numbered them 1 and 2. Number 2 looked like it could be one at first glance but studying it more, it may just be a rock. Number one could just be a rock too, just looked like something I would flip to make sure.

Attachments

• insituuu2.JPG
    insituuu2.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 551

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
lol, not trying to be harsh... I just can't help but see stuff when I look at a pic like that. I miss hunting points. The ones I saw, I can now tell one of them is a leaf, the other is in between the two that ShieldJaguar pointed out. It looks like a narrow broken tip and midsection with concave sides. Light grey. I'm looking at it on a little laptop screen, so it might not be.

OP
OP
all_atv

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
I did go back and check since it was so close today and there was nothing more. I thought about picking up the rocks and sending them to you guys lol. Still cant find a type Ive been through some books and can't find it, I also don't think its a lost lake now after looking through the books. The flaking is random. if the tip wasn't missing it would be a bit over 4" I think.

Anyone think this would be cool one to get restored by a pro? Ive never done it and think its kinda cheating... but it would look alot cooler! How much does that cost? It might look silly still though since the curve on one side.

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
I think it's probably a big Hardin that has been extensively resharpened. Many times the big ones have similar bases.

Hippy

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I think I've seen that type listed in a book before I can't think of where or what it is. I'll spend some time this evening looking through to see if I can find the specific point I'm thinking of. Cool find.

On the restoration, A LOT of people get points restored. You found the artifact, do whatever you want with it. Some people like to restore the point to it's original form. Personally I think there's enough redeemable quality in a well made broke that there's no reason to restore them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread