Big Rock

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a big rock i want to destroy and move away whats left of it . I hope to find gold under the rock . Where am at we use wood and burn fires and pour water on the rock to break it . This rock near homes and village . I can't get coal and charcoal is very expensive compared to wood . Explosives can't be used , heavy machine can't be used what ever i use it has to be carried into the area . Any ideas would be welcomed . Joke no phazers no alien help no plasm or lasers i cant get electric to the rock only small generator electric so i can not use tungsten demo which i heard is the best way. Jack hammer would take to long time . If wood the only way please just say that . thank you

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An alternative to blasting, jackhammers or heavy equipment, Dexpan powder is mixed with water and poured into pre-drilled holes where it gradually expands with 18,000 PSI of power to break even the toughest rock or concrete.

OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you so much pepperj joke now i don't have to ask jeff williams and slim they always use explosives . So Dexpan powder sound great same power as black powder but no noise and no need for a blasting net i'll look this up . Thanks again .

OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
My teacher said i have to drill 1 1/2" holes and if this is like quick rock it gets very hot and drys quick but in 24 hrs its hard as a rock and it expanded to crack the the hard rock . He said he forgot about this old tech .

OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to add quick rock is a cement 35 years ago i was told it cost 5x what regular cement costs and my teacher also told me what he remembers its no good for soft rocks but great for hard ones . He said for me to give u a big thumbs up

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
the huffmans used it on gold rush,cool stuff, good luck
brad

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to add quick rock is a cement 35 years ago i was told it cost 5x what regular cement costs and my teacher also told me what he remembers its no good for soft rocks but great for hard ones . He said for me to give u a big thumbs up

Cement/concrete structures are usually reinforced with rebar to give it extra strength so probably extra tough to break up. That said, take advantage of existing weaknesses such as cracks or holes when preparing to use expansion products for demolition.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
I talked more about this brand of cement to my teacher he said it was used to put anchors in old cracked up brick walls were they used lead anchors over 100 years ago like u said there be a hole in the wall they make a form and pour a small amount because it would get very thick as u worked with it . One had to work fast my teacher said this cement as strong as steel and the brick wall would brake or the steel anchor would brake . never the quick rock he said there was another brand if he remembers right called fast plug . He also told me it might be able to be used in 1" holes closer together but more workers would be needed because it dries so fast . he also told me its not easy to drill holes into very hard rocks . But miners all know this and nobody here for 800 kilometers knows this . Thank u arizau and good luck

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dexpan & ecobust are expensive... An 1-1/2" rock drill costs a pretty penny. You should just check in with Sierra Blaster, it's much easier and works in minutes.... Dexpan can take a few days to expand enough on real large rocks. Check into it because it's not classified as an explosive.
https://sierrablaster.com/

Ecobust video

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where are you located? If you're near a house, your basic alternatives are expanding grout (Dexpan and other brands), micro-blasting, or using a 1.4S product like NXBurst or Royex (think micro- blasting but bigger).

Expanding grout will absolutely do the job, but you're going to need to rent a rock drill and a compressor trailer so that you can drill a grid of 1.5" / 38mm holes on a 12"/30cm grid.

The Sierra Blaster only needs 10mm holes which an be drilled with a cordless SDS+ drill, but you'll only be breaking a few cubic feet per shot.

A 40 gram 1.4S cartridge can completely destroy a cubic yard of rock and it can even be done near structures if you cover the job up with some old carpets and sandbags.

https://coogarsales.com/products/nxburst-cartridges/

OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
Must be no noise , no smoke i think i seen Jeff Williams use this sierra blaster , thank you for mentioning it i'll have to do more research i was hoping to use a hammer drill with a 20mm bit . this rock in a very populated area and this aint no mining project . Lets just say 30 dead bodies told no tales ..Thanks for the info

OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
I have another way which i was told by my teacher it involves either 3000 F or 6000 F not sure if i can get the parts needed on this side of the world . Plus where do i get real powerline electric . Maybe i can just run the wires on the ground just for this job .

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1.5 M x 2.0 M x 2.0 M

A .5m thick rock is hard to break with wedges and feathers, unless you can get big holes drilled (like 38mm). Expanding grout would also take 30+ holes of that size and probably $200+ in product. The preferred way to break this up with 20mm drilling would be with smokeless gunpowder charges like this. A 40g cartridge can easily break up 1m^3 or more and you can protect your house with some old carpets.

Commercial product:
https://nxco.co.za/products/

I don't know if they sell anything like that locally. The regulations vary a lot from country to country. In some places, this type of explosive can be sold to regular people by equipment rental companies and such.

Socorro

Feb 23, 2017
SouthWest Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are still battling with busting rocks, I figured I would add a couple of thoughts. I have used dexapn a lot and have used it with a 3/4 drill. Although they recommend a 1 1/2" hole, I have taken massive amounts of rock down using 3/4 and 1" drills. Simply using an SDS or an SDS max drill bit works very fast and easily without a tremendous amount of money expense. You are also using less dexpan with smaller holes as well. And, it doesn't take 24 hours, on average, most of my demolitions work breaks the rock within 45 minutes to 3 hours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread