South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weather in SW PA turned from endless winter to beautiful Spring weather in just a few days. Steve In PA, JerV3, Metalheadz, Gare and myself met up in one of Jer’s not so secret park sites for an early 4 hour hunt. It was cool to meet Gare who drove in from Ohio bringing gifts for everyone, great guy.

This park has 200 years of history hidden under the layers of pull tabs, screw caps and rusty nails. You really have to know what you are doing to be successful in this environment and Jer showed us why he is the king of parks.

Jer’s finds, multiple silvers and old coins including what we thought was the find of the day a Classic Head Half Cent.
IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg
IMG_0622.jpg

Steve pulled through with some cool finds and he squeezed out a silver towards the end.

IMG_0625.jpg

Louis (Metalheadz) second hole was a Merc and continued to hit his little hot spot area to pull a Braided Hair Largie as well as what we thought was a junk ring.
IMG_0626.jpg

Gare and I couldn’t get our coils over the goods, just a handful of wheats and clad.

Fun day was had by all including a city cop who decided to stop in and check out what we were up to. Turns out he wants to get into the hobby and I advised him to start at Tnet.

A couple days later Louis texts the group with a close up of his junk ring.
IMG_0627.jpg
Turns out it is an extremely rare “Supermen of America Member” ring. These can go at auction at more than $10k in good shape. His is obviously dug, but has some nice details so maybe if properly cleaned can fetch $1,000.

I salvaged the week with an afternoon hunt yesterday at an old well hunted cellar hole popping my first complete colonial shoe buckle frame and a CW era Seated S Dime.
IMG_0621.jpg
IMG_0618.jpg

Good luck out there!

Upvote 34

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done folks on the outing, a good assortment of finds. Cool ring-a rare one at that. Congrats to all the finders

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Excellent! I feel like I was there with everyone, thanks for the post. If the ring brought even a fraction of your guesstimate that would be amazing.
Fan dime tastic, btw.
Was the ground nice and soaked? We just got 30 inches of snow and it's almost all melted. Hope to get out and get muddy soon. HH ALL

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That park was truly a challenge. In some areas there was a crisp signal every 12 inches, although most in the pulltab/nickel/foil range. I was trying to cherry pick dime and quarter signals, but didn't run over too many of those, probably because everyone who hunts that park does the same thing :laughing7:
I did get my first wheat penny flattened by a train....

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never got a coin :( I thank these guys for the invite !!! Next time has to be better. It can not be any worse.

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's always fun digging with a bunch of nutty detectors :)

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great bunch of finds guy's - well done ! :occasion14:

I live close to "Gare" - we've gone on a lot of hunts together.

Good Hunting !

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice write up Thad.

Gare sorry I missed you Sunday. There was alot of construction going on down there and it made it hard to find one another.

Yes its very tough hunting down there. It takes alot of practice to get used to the machine gun of tones at this park.

With some patience though you can be rewarded with some keepers. Not uncommon to see coins 12 inches deep here.

Site gets hunted alot. Ive seen groups there in the past. We'll take you to an easier site next go around.

Hope to get back down there Sunday again.

Jer

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Kool y'all got to hook up, sounds fun!!!! Krazy part of your story is I was just watching an episode of Pawn Stars (don't ask me why) and a guy brought in the exact ring to sell and they said the same about it's rarity. DEF a good find there Gare!!!!!! Congratz to y'all......

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job boys!!!! Sounds like a lot of fun!!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a great time was had by all- Congrats to everyone for all the sweet finds!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yall did pretty good I'd say! Those parks can be tough to hunt!

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great dig! Glad you guys met up! What fun!!! ...and good saves by everyone all around!!!

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt! Still waiting for the ground to thaw here.

aj

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread