What's new

bird...MORE pictures and the 6th and 7th bird!

larson1951

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
4,974
Reaction score
3,894
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
here is another bird effigy that I have been trying to find
we found this in summer of 2008
I think I have posted all the birds now
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1095.webp
    IMG_1095.webp
    38.4 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_1096.webp
    IMG_1096.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_1097.webp
    IMG_1097.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 734
  • IMG_1097.webp
    IMG_1097.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_1096.webp
    IMG_1096.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 756
  • IMG_1095.webp
    IMG_1095.webp
    38.4 KB · Views: 740
Upvote 0
Re: bird

Very nice piece Larson.

I wonder if that one represents a Turkey since it has that little thing hanging down under it's neck.
 
Re: bird

That's an awesome Find !!!
 
Re: bird

SRV said:
Very nice piece Larson.

I wonder if that one represents a Turkey since it has that little thing hanging down under it's neck.

Thats a good observation. A beard maybe of a Tom? You going to frame all your bird effigys together? You have about 4 good ones if I remember correctly.
Wooowzer
TnMtns
 
Re: bird

I agree about the turkey idea
the whistles I find are made from turkey bones so I know they must have had turkeys around then
 
all of the 6 birds were found in one field
I will try a group photo but I have to get them all in one spot
as I said I gave some of these to my friends
there is a total of six
I have 2
john has 2
al has 1
russie has 1
here is the biggest one in the next 3 images, the following image shows johns birds
last images shows both of mine
i will look in my photo library and try to post the rest
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0234.webp
    IMG_0234.webp
    58.3 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_0236.webp
    IMG_0236.webp
    57.1 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_0232.webp
    IMG_0232.webp
    64.1 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_0972.webp
    IMG_0972.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_0965.webp
    IMG_0965.webp
    110.3 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_0232.webp
    IMG_0232.webp
    64.1 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_0234.webp
    IMG_0234.webp
    58.3 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_0236.webp
    IMG_0236.webp
    57.1 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_0965.webp
    IMG_0965.webp
    110.3 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_0972.webp
    IMG_0972.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 506
Re: bird

Those are fantastic thanks for showing the rest. Is it dry enough in NE Missouri for artifacts to still be intact? How old do you think yours are?
 
thanks archer66 I don't know how old these birds are but maybe 500 to 2000 yrs?
I don't know about the missouri climate, these are from the Dakota's

the next 4 image's show Russie's bird along with my broke bird
russie was walking behind me when he found his bird in my foot print, I had stepped on it and not even noticed it

the next 2 images show the markings on the top and bottom sides of my unbroke small bird
the engraving on the top and bottom edges on these is quite cool
the last image shows my big bird and my unbroke small bird(with handle) and my broke bird along with russie's bird

Does any body out there have any information about these things????

thanks, larson1951
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1264.webp
    IMG_1264.webp
    34 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_1265.webp
    IMG_1265.webp
    38 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_1273.webp
    IMG_1273.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_1272.webp
    IMG_1272.webp
    21 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_1271.webp
    IMG_1271.webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_1268.webp
    IMG_1268.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_1267.webp
    IMG_1267.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_1266.webp
    IMG_1266.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_1277.webp
    IMG_1277.webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 374
hey thanks pickaway
on the last image it sure would be cool if we could see the rest of the piece with the "M"s on it and the rest of the piece with broke bill
the engraving on the chin and top of head and beak are so cool

I sure wish some one could post some thing similar
or we could get some info on these
 
I see waht your saying about the broken one on the bill, they put alot of work and detail in it, I'm sure they had a use for something if just not artistic or spiritual...
 
thanks pick
on image 1277 note that one with the handle?
I wonder if these were held in the hand or had a wood handle?
I sure wish some one had some more info on these
 
I would guess handheld,could be wrong i'd say they were spiritual just my guess, would you reckon they might be small kids toys? I understand your frustration in trying to figure them out... :dontknow:
 
Pickaway that Mandan book is awesome! :hello2: Impossible to find rare books can be downloaded for free on Google Books. Google Books rules! :headbang:
 
yes that book rules!!
the artifacts I find are very much like what is in the book
that bird is a little different but it is still the same kinda deal
 
coteau said:
Pickaway that Mandan book is awesome! :hello2: Impossible to find rare books can be downloaded for free on Google Books. Google Books rules! :headbang:

Alot of good artifact books on google books... you can download them to a pdf file makes it alot easier to read.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom