Bits of Todd's Valley History

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to be returning this book about Todd Valley soon to the library in Auburn CA. If anyone on here is interested in this kind of stuff you should check it out (no pun intended).

Basically, if you are unfamiliar with Todd Valley, it is area outside of Auburn CA that used to be a town with a profitable mining industry for a while. The town burnt down in the past and is now mostly residential area. Some interesting info from the book include:

-The town bought a canon at one point and would fire it off on the fourth of July, until it was eventually moved to a different location in Auburn. Some time later the canon was blown to pieces after some Halloween pranksters filled it with powder.

-There were known Indian grinding stone locations and it is suspected that there are others in the area as well.

-A failed attempt at a stage coach robbery got two thieves buried in graves so shallow that, according to local lore, their boots were left sticking out of the ground. Children used to go to the cemetery and search for the boots. Talk about treasure hunting!

So much more info in this book that is great for anyone who is interested in Auburn/ Foresthill history. Ill probably return it after the weekend. Also, If you want to go detecting around the area and need a partner, let me know. I've received so much help from this site that I figured I'd try and contribute something I know about. Hopefully someone finds this useful.

rgrinnell

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2022
I'm going to be returning this book about Todd Valley soon to the library in Auburn CA. If anyone on here is interested in this kind of stuff you should check it out (no pun intended).

Basically, if you are unfamiliar with Todd Valley, it is area outside of Auburn CA that used to be a town with a profitable mining industry for a while. The town burnt down in the past and is now mostly residential area. Some interesting info from the book include:

-The town bought a canon at one point and would fire it off on the fourth of July, until it was eventually moved to a different location in Auburn. Some time later the canon was blown to pieces after some Halloween pranksters filled it with powder.

-There were known Indian grinding stone locations and it is suspected that there are others in the area as well.

-A failed attempt at a stage coach robbery got two thieves buried in graves so shallow that, according to local lore, their boots were left sticking out of the ground. Children used to go to the cemetery and search for the boots. Talk about treasure hunting!

So much more info in this book that is great for anyone who is interested in Auburn/ Foresthill history. Ill probably return it after the weekend. Also, If you want to go detecting around the area and need a partner, let me know. I've received so much help from this site that I figured I'd try and contribute something I know about. Hopefully someone finds this useful.
Hi ShoesnSocks. I am local to FH/TV and would enjoy a meetup if you are still around. I am new to this group and am planning to join MotherLoad Goldhounds if they get the club back up and running.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread