Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I went after work to an old swimming area which has always produced sad looking silver, and today was no exception.

The lake was drained a few years ago and the coins spilled out down the embankment. I guess the water is very mineralized; almost all of my silver has come out black, and today was no excpetion. I always end up going back there to feed my MD addiction, but I know the coins are gonna be in sad shape. Even the 1957 quarter has staining. The Barber half somehow got bent.

After I left that spot I noticed an old house was torn down. It was getting dark, so I knocked on a neighbors door for the ok, and gave it a quick search. I found 3 wheaties, this odd cobalt blue colored buckle and the plated Illinois State Sovereignty souvinir spoon

Totals for the day...1957 Washington Quarter, 1902 Barber Half & Barber Dime, Sad looking 1912 Barber quarter, 5 wheaties, Souvinir spoon.

Any info on this type of button is apprieciated. It measures about an inch wide.

Note: I have yet to break the 20th century barrier in my own county, although I have that date beat by well over 100 years in the surrounding counties

Attachments

• 2007_0327Image0002.JPG
    2007_0327Image0002.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 926
  • 2007_0327Image0007.JPG
    2007_0327Image0007.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 891
  • 2007_0327Image0009.JPG
    2007_0327Image0009.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 932
  • 2007_0327Image0010.JPG
    2007_0327Image0010.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 922
Upvote 0
Here are the other Barbers

Attachments

• 2007_0328Image0015.JPG
    2007_0328Image0015.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 845
  • 2007_0328Image0004.JPG
    2007_0328Image0004.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 841
Nice coins regardless of their condition! Good job!

Nat

Any barber find is a great find !!!

I have yet to get one of those.

Nice finds HH

Silver is all good, Congrats

Great adds to the collection!
HH
Sean

Yeah it's sad to see silver come out that way. I hunted a swimming area one time that was drained to repair the dam and all of the silver came out black. It's funny but the copper came out in really good shape. Gold wasn't affected though. You have a honey hole there. Great finds!!!

Wow, those are some mighty fine looking Barbers. I like the buckle also.

I suggest you try electrolysis. It will clean those coins right up. I don't have the recipe here right now, but it isn't hard. You just use a glass beaker, a bent spoon and some wire clips, salt and water and a small 9 volt charger. Stick one clip on the spoon and one on the coin. Not sure of the mixture right off hand, but if you go to Cleaning and Preserving area on this forum, you can find the answer. If not, let me know and I'll look up the answer.

Your black coins have been laying in Sulphur water. It doesn't take much Sulphur to turn a coin black.

HH all, Ringfinder

ringfinder said:
I suggest you try electrolysis. It will clean those coins right up. HH all, Ringfinder

Ringfinder:

I couldn't find my homemade electrolysis kit last night, but I agree. About 20 seconds of electrolysis and the black wipes right off.

Thanks for the tip!

Nice finds, Neil. Shame about the condition, but, as they say, silver is silver. HH
Bob

If the coins are not real valueable - baking soda and water - make a paste - rub coins with fingers - will clean thoughs coins nicely. Personally, I don't believe this hurts the coins.

Bruce

Silver is Silver, I will take those coins any day over a pull tab.

You still have something to be proud of no matter the value, some people will never find coins like that.

Way to go and nice finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back