• Stout.JPG
    Stout.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 313
  • Stout1.JPG
    Stout1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 311
Road Dog said:
Any thoughts on this one Harry?
Thoughts? . . . . . . I think it's a cool little bottle! Labels on beer bottles of this age are rare, rare, rare. I know that I don't have one with a label, though I have a few smaller black bottles like this. What are the dimensions of this bottle?

Wasn't the back-story of this bottle that someone had found a case of these empties, and you had managed to acquire this one from that group? Found here, in the Northeast somewhere.

Here are a couple on my shelf; but, they look kinda' drab next to yours.

Attachments

• blackbeerpair.JPG
    blackbeerpair.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 315
I got 2 items from a fella that won a box lot at an auction. Sounds like an interesting story. Anymore details? I'll measure the bottle when I get home. Nice bottles in the pic. I like that one on the right. :icon_thumright:

Been trying to date this bottle. You'd think with a label it wouldn't be too hard? Appear to have been sold in pints and quarts in cases of 1 dozen.

[size=14pt]Judging from Roger Dumbrell's line-drawings of British lip finishes, I'd say that your bottle dates to post-1850 (but, not too long after 1850, say up to 1870).

You're right, the label should be a more accurate way to date the bottle. I did a preliminary www search, but didn't find anything useful. What you may want to do is to get onto a British bottle web-forum. A Liverpool collector once got me some useful info from that city's business directory from the 1820s!

Thanks Harry, I just emailed a fellow over there who heads up those forums. I found pics of a couple labels that were in a museum in Canada supposedly from 1850-85, but they didn't look like mine. Hibbert did make different types of beers though. Maybe , Mark over in England will have some luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back