What's new

Bladesmith sourcing shipwreck wood

Hammer&Fable

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 4, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
As the title indicates, I'm a bladesmith. My current project is a pirate cutlass and matching main gauche (parrying dagger), and I'd like to build the handle from layers of 18th c shipwreck wood, ideally with pirate related provenance though I know that's hard to find and harder to prove. I probably need 4-6 pieces roughly 1in thick and at least 1.5in diameter. I could also work with a larger chunk, just not smaller.
 
Hello Bladesmith I imagine you make really cool blades. I would love to see what you make.

But here is the problem we face with your question. If you are looking to purchase, sell, or source authentic 17th-century shipwreck timber (including vessels linked to the Golden Age of piracy or contemporary merchant/naval fleets), it is strictly regulated. Legitimate sales are rare, highly scrutinized, and generally restricted to recovered surplus materials managed by maritime heritage programs or authorized marine salvage liquidators.

Authorized Salvage Dealers: Look for certified marine artifact dealers who work in partnership with maritime archaeologists when non-historic or duplicate ballast/scrap wood enters legal private channels.

Crow
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260807_230025634.MP.webp
    PXL_20260807_230025634.MP.webp
    3.3 MB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20260807_164254752.webp
    PXL_20260807_164254752.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20260710_134124752.webp
    PXL_20260710_134124752.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20260710_134107452.webp
    PXL_20260710_134107452.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20260710_134052678.webp
    PXL_20260710_134052678.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20260710_134102782.webp
    PXL_20260710_134102782.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20260710_134038861.webp
    PXL_20260710_134038861.webp
    2.7 MB · Views: 30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom