Blair County ! old stone arch bridge 1819 Also called Northern Turnpike.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Stone Arch Bridge The Huntingdon, Cambria, and Indiana Turnpike was a private enterprise, incorporated March 20,1810, to build a road across the Allegheny Mountains, from Huntingdon, PA to Blairsville, PA. The area was still complete wilderness at this time. The road remained in service, though taken over by the State at some point, until US Route 22 was built following much of the original alignment in this area. This bridge is on a very sharp hairpin curve in the road, which was bypassed in the new alignment. Abandoned stone arch bridge over Unnamed tributary of Blair Run on Huntingdon, Cambria & Indiana Turnpike Built as part of the Huntingdon, Cambria and Indiana Turnpike. The road was completed in 1819. Abandoned 1929 when US Rt 22 was built up the mountain. Span length: 7.0 ft. Deck width: 20.5 ft

My Guess: Picnics, Watering Horses, and Later Topping off Car Radiators along the creek :treasurechest:

Reactions: ARC

jose159

Jul 15, 2021
SW Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats Awesome! I don't know exactly where that is but it's probably not to far from me as I live in northern Somerset county. I love historical sites like that and there was probably still some Indian activity there when that was built.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gather it's on a Mountan Climb along 22 where they
cut a Hairpin vurve out . too sharp.
if i knew the area, I'd also check for Newspaper Articles on Robberies in that area, and off course Wrecks.

Wrong Side of the susquehanna for me :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread