Blessed Thanksgiving Day Hunt.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blessed Thanksgiving Day Hunt. With Pics

Howdy Folks. I never really know where I am going hunting until I get in my car and start driving. I have ideas of course but, I just head out and kind of wait to be "directed" to the spot I am to hunt. Well, I picked a pretty decent spot today and walked into a target rich environment in a nice sandy field. Weather was perfect around low 50's I reckon. Not much can slaw or modern trash so the targets being older was enjoyable. I got my share of old iron and non ferrous goodies today. Sunshine and vitamin D in gracious supply.:sunny:

I certainly wasn't in coin shooting mode or cherry picking to begin with. I just wanted to see what the area had for old targets. Found some old horse tack brass & iron. Good signs I was in a nice spot. The history of this spot goes back pre civil war. I know I was treading where others had perhaps 175 years ago. The area is sand so many good targets might have sunk out of sight. The field does get tilled so maybe something good will be reachable today.

First find of note was the Iowa State Traveling Men's Association Lost Keys Tag. Where's the keys?:dontknow: Pretty cool old find. Not sure on the age or history yet. I got a cool old brass round wick oil lamp piece. Lovely patina on it. Of course the thought of where's the old coins always plays in my mind but, I wasn't getting any. The relics were keeping me quite entertained though and the sunshine and weather was beautiful. I dug a long iron "hammer" looking thing. Not exactly sure what type of tool it is but, I like it. Got an old file too.

As the sun was descending I started to turn toward nonferrous mode in hopes of finding an old coin. I got it. A well toasted 1944 wheat penny. Not satisfied with that I went into the dark looking for one good target before leaving the field. I hit a super solid 78 on my Makro Racer 2 and thought another wheatie on the surface was waiting for me. To my surprise I groped in the dark and found a very nice old Red Cross brass padlock. SWEET! Super deep jade green patina and intact. I love it. Happy with that I headed toward the CV. I hope the weather stays like this for the rest of the weekend. I know where I am hunting tomorrow.;D Thanks for stopping by and I hope ya'll had a blessed Thanksgiving day. Kurios1

Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 033.jpg Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 001.jpg Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 013.jpg Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 015.jpg Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 028.jpg Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 039.jpg Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 043.jpg Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 047.jpg Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 050.jpg Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 064.JPG Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 078.jpg Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 070.jpg Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 073.jpg Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 058.jpg Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 003.jpg Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 075.jpg

Attachments

• Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 071.jpg
    Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 071.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 072.JPG
    Shultzes Red Cross Lock Hunt Thanksgiving Day 072.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Upvote 14

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I wasn't able to view the attachments but it sounds like you had an awesome Thanksgiving day.

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't able to view the attachments but it sounds like you had an awesome Thanksgiving day.

Too many good pictures to not have them work. I'll get this fixed if it takes ALL NIGHT! LOL!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't wait to see the pics. Congrats on a fun filled hunt!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a nice Thanksgiving Day you had! You found a lot of nice stuff, congratulations!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a nice Thanksgiving Day you had! You found a lot of nice stuff, congratulations!

Thanks Scruggs my friend. I had a great time plucking old stuff from this sand box! Digging is super easy. Problem is some of the old coinage might be two feet deep! Oh well, today I might get some little dated round disks. We shall see.:dontknow::hello:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Thanksgiving Day hunt kurios...lots of nice finds...I really like that cool old brass lock. Very nice.
Congrats!!

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Thanksgiving Day hunt kurios...lots of nice finds...I really like that cool old brass lock. Very nice.
Congrats!!

Thanks buddy. I am trying to suck down my java and get away from this darned computer. I need to go cherry picking, OH MY, to see if any old coins are available in this wonderful mess! I hope wherever you and your beloved are roaming ya'll had a well blessed Thanksgiving. Adios!:hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread