✅ SOLVED Blue Diamond Coal Token?

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone please give me more information in this brass token? Would like date, state, further info on the company. - anything!

E01BBB69-9748-49A4-9189-0B1D8DB1F195.jpeg
2970A438-291B-45B3-B2A6-33C45B67047C.jpeg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly 1930's 1940's Will Post More

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool piece of history. It’s a company ‘scrip’ token (for 1 cent), issued to workers in a range of values and intended to be redeemable only in that company’s store(s) by an employee for goods and provisions. Sometimes they were part of, or a supplement to, an employee’s wages but also, cynically, many manual labourers were paid entirely in scrip. They were also given as an advance against unearned wages and were generated in such quantity that they often became an additional unofficial currency of local and surrounding communities where the issuing company was based. Not necessarily at full exchange rate, though.

You can see how such a system is open to abuse. Company stores with ‘locked-in’ customers could unfavourably manipulate their pricing; control the availability of alcohol which might reduce productivity; and freely issuing advances in this way also sucked some employees into being almost permanently indebted to the company they worked for. The use of company scrip instead of wages was prohibited in the US in 1938 but wasn’t completely eradicated as a part-payment until the late 1950s. There have been occasional instances of illegal use since then. The date for your token is 1948.

The Blue Diamond Coal Company was founded in Chevrolet, Kentucky in 1918 and is still in operation today (out of Knoxville, KY). Your particular token was issued for their mine in Bonny Blue, Virginia. The token design is generic. I’ve seen the same design with the Amherst Coal Company name on it. It’s said that around 75% of all scrip issued in America came from coal companies in Eastern Kentucky, West Virginia and Virginia.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread