Bone identification help please.

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend found this one while on a gravel bar hunt on the 102 river in Northwest Missouri. Im thinking possibly a Bison tibia. Any help would be appreciated.

100_0835.JPG

100_0834.JPG

100_0842.JPG

Attachments

• 100_0831.JPG
    100_0831.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 279
OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to photograph the other bones we found as well, also i have to go back and retrieve a partial skull from the spot, i could only see part of the jaw or cheek exposed with teeth still in it. Of course im waiting for the ground to maybe thaw some.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
skull would be an amazing find. hope you can retrieve it in decent shape.

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to photograph the other bones we found as well, also i have to go back and retrieve a partial skull from the spot, i could only see part of the jaw or cheek exposed with teeth still in it. Of course im waiting for the ground to maybe thaw some.
By all means be very careful excavating those fossils! Always dig a good distance from the find and work your way inward by hand. The horns on the skull may be very long. If you are finding intact mandibles with teeth, you have a very well preserved specimen. Please post more pictures! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A vertebra and scapula from the same site. Any ideas if these are Bison as well?

100_0859.JPG

100_0857.JPG

100_0854.JPG

100_0853.JPG

100_0852.JPG

100_0861.JPG

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The scapula could be a deer or elk, I don't think it is bison. The thoracic vertebrae, hard to say, the spinous, (dorsal), fin is broken and the centrum facets are missing, it may in fact be a badly eroded lumbar. Lets wait for a second opinion on these.

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a comparison to a Bison, 14th (last) Thoracic vertebrae, close match. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Caudal comparison.JPG
    Caudal comparison.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 236

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think from what I can see of the tibial crest, you have a right tibia, very close match. I'm staying with bison theory.

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The measurements i have on this tibia are 14" 3.5" 1.75" , so this means its a larger cow compared to the comparison diagram?

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I might add, if you take into consideration the amount of erosion your specimen has around the medial and lateral condyles, (imagine them with no erosion) a larger picture emerges. I'm not sure about the scapula though.

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I agree, looks like bison. I noticed the vertebra ins't fused, meaning the vertebra came from a juvenile. If the tibia is full-sized, you may be dealing with more than one individual. Defiantly head back to that site, there is no telling how much could be there. I really hope you can get back to that partial skull. Like they said above, be careful, and go slow! If you get it, make sure you post some pictures for us.

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most definitely, i am preparing as we communicate to do so. Thanks for all the feedback thus far.

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the only 2 pictures i could take before my batteries died on the camera. I have them charging now, more photos after the charge or i find some more. All of this came from the same site, laying on top of the ground just under or up against some dead fall debris. The piece with the teeth was all there was, i thought it was buried because it was frozen to the ground yesterday. there is another piece that goes with it that came off of it when i picked it up, just forgot to put it in the photo.

100_0866.JPG

100_0867.JPG

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Daniel, Wow! really nice finds, I'm seeing, from left to right, a well preserved and large Lumbar Vertebrea, A nice Thoracic vertabrae, cannon bone, the small fragment looks to be a piece of an ulna bone, would have been attached to a radius, Skull fragment with 4 intact teeth, Definitely Bison, and the vertabrae on the extreme right is also a thoracic. The other pic is another very nice thoracic specimen. Were there any smaller bones in the area? Usually in a dig that good, there are some hoof cores and toe bones, carpals and the like. Be sure and get all of them. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About how old are these might i ask? Also the separate photo is the same one that's in the group shot. I was just trying to do individuals to have some reference.

Last edited:

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About how old are these might i ask? Also the separate photo is the same one that's in the group shot. I was just trying to do individuals to have some reference.
That is hard to say without a closer examination. Then, without carbon date analysis it would still be an educated guess. The skull and horns would have made things easier, the now extinct Bison Antiquus had a much different horn configuration than the modern buffalo of today. The river environment preserves bones so well that when a flood or large construction project does unearth them, their condition is almost unbelievable! I think your finds are in all probability, late Pleistocene. !0 to 25 thousand years old. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread