BONE IDS I was first thinking muskrat, but now???

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BONE ID'S I was first thinking muskrat, but now???

DSCF0412.JPGDSCF0413.JPGDSCF0414.JPGDSCF0415.JPGDSCF0416.JPGDSCF0417.JPGDSCF0418.JPG
Hey folks,
I was looking at some of the bones brought home from last weekend.
I have found probably a dozen of these small teeth/claws. Just wondering what they might be. I thought at first they were muskrat teeth, but the first one in my hand is still in the bone and it looks like it retracts like a claw??? Any ideas??
Must have been a good food source because there is a lot of them.
Thanks, BCI

Upvote 0
Thanks Iowa Trout,
Most of the ones I find are bigger than the ones shown, I'm very interested in what they butchered/ate.
BCI
Appears to be a young beaver .

It looks like several diffrent animals. A muskrat or young beaver and a raccoon.

Well.. I see a few species there. One deer tooth and what appears to be a section of deer scapula, a section of rodent mandible and what you had in your hand does not appear to have an enamel ... so I'm guessing a claw from the same animal as the jaw section. The skull is probably the same creature. The loose teeth with the long roots from your other post look like canines from something like a fox. Just my opinion since I'm not holding them or from your neck of the woods. This is deer and raccoon.

ForumRunner_20130228_213934.png

I have a fairly extensive skull and tooth collection as well as furs. I try to help when I can. Also you are right about the deer tooth. Your good!

I was typing when you posted..then saw yours.

Thanks Gator,
Whatever the critter is from pic 4 and 5 must have been quite a common meal. The one shown in those pics is the only one found still with the bone. I guess I really hope to learn about their diet as well.
Thanks again,
BCI
Well.. I see a few species there. One deer tooth and what appears to be a section of deer scapula, a section of rodent mandible and what you had in your hand does not appear to have an enamel ... so I'm guessing a claw from the same animal as the jaw section. The skull is probably the same creature. The loose teeth with the long roots from your other post look like canines from something like a fox. Just my opinion since I'm not holding them or from your neck of the woods. This is deer and raccoon.

View attachment 749838

Orange tipped teeth on adult beaver around 4 inch. Have handled one that could be slid out of dried lower jaw. curved single shown on open hand normally covered. Tells even without color at end its a rodent that must keep wearing teeth or they will follow curving growth to trouble. Would be a small beaver kit indeed if a beaver.
Maybe look at some rabbit teeth to compare. Or if muskrats built huts back then someone could have beat the mink to them come winter.
You are definitely in an interesting spot allready. Congrats!.

Far to go for diet. Time your done seasons of use will be covered too. Seeds ,shellfish,turtle shell ect. maybe for summer,depending on water fish bone if lucky and preserved.
Shelter type winter for sure but you,ll have it figured in time. O.k.,drag me away !.

Ha..yeah me too Releventchair That shelter also Happens to be the only one not frozen solid. It still works.

IMG_20130228_224631.jpg
TN,i wanted to show a less tidy jaw and didn,t find a clean spot to take a pic! So...

Ha..yeah me too Releventchair That shelter also Happens to be the only one not frozen solid. It still works.

Hmmm,maybe if we all camped there and kept a fire going more would thaw! (Just kidding bci101 tractors :laughing7:)

Between the pottery and all the bone and charcoaled wood in that one small spot that should be very productive when it warms up. VERY

Some similar genetics in a few of those,steady diet and all too. M.h.o.
Nice! Some where in the hazy past some one mentioned surplus antlers being cached in earth some where by natives.
It would keep them fresh i guess and away from varmints and dogs. We have some sections of elk antlers the dogs like to chew.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back