What's new

Bone pin

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a category of artifact fairly common in Florida that I don't see much of anywhere else.
I thought it would be nice to start a thread and see what turns up.
The more the merrier.


ForumRunner_20130806_201845.webp



ForumRunner_20130806_202002.webp

I believe this one is actually a needle.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130608_102326.webp
    ForumRunner_20130608_102326.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
Real shame this black one was broken.. I actually have two pieces of it here found a week apart. Wish I found that other section!

ForumRunner_20130807_102134.webp



ForumRunner_20130807_102337.webp



ForumRunner_20130807_102626.webp
 
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Reaper!! Really nice collection!! Were those found in your area or outside of Ohio? VERDE!!

Thanks VERDE. Those are all from my home state of Ohio. Some are from my county, Scioto, and some are from Hamilton county.
 

Bone preserves well in some places, usually habitation areas where there is black soil mixed in with shells and other refuse. Midden areas.
These areas are usually Archaic-Woodland On. The exception are rivers or wet areas....the minerals in the water and "soil" they are deposited in permeate the bone and it becomes "silicified", what I call partially fossilized. Many of our Pleistocene fossils are similarly "silicified". So Paleo and other Time's bone pins from rivers are harder and found in rivers/wet because bone will dissolve here in FL just like it does anywhere else, maybe even quicker, cause we just have sand, sand, sand. Usually one finds only a piece of a bone pin, whole pins, even mostly whole due to end damage are rarer than goat feathers. In wet soil/black soil they come out orangish, though they bleach white if exposed to the sun or surf. In water they are usually black or dark. Ivory pins are rare but found. Bone foreshafts are also found. ALWAYS use Gomer's solution on bone!
 
Beautiful Tom!
Real hard finding full ones for sure.

ForumRunner_20130808_130631.webp
 
I wonder if that first, thin, black one is ivory???? It is highly polished compared to so many other specimens - hairpin mode... I love those kind even if they are broken. I have some in baggies that need gluing! That last one looks like a dagger. Yes it's hard to find 'em whole but that one is caseworthy. Members can imagine from that last piece that if it was scored longways in the middle, you could make two pins out of that piece.....and that the last artifact was scored on the sides, then abraded along the cuts to make it. And probably deer radius boom!
 
Last edited:
I belive that one is ivory ..it's much more dense than the others also and shows no sign of a blood groove.
Thank you for giving that very good description of the manufacturing process.. and I apologize for not doing so ..I was busy and usually like to add some description of what I post.
 
Very popular bone that deer radius was..popular animal as a whole down here.

ForumRunner_20130808_223606.webp



ForumRunner_20130808_222429.webp



ForumRunner_20130808_223419.webp
 
A few personal found Florida pins. Longest is 6 1/2" long,
 

Attachments

  • new1 613.webp
    new1 613.webp
    362.3 KB · Views: 74
  • new1 612.webp
    new1 612.webp
    345.9 KB · Views: 80
Welcome back stranger.
Beautiful!
 
Some E.Tenn Pins.
 

Attachments

  • new8.webp
    new8.webp
    268.1 KB · Views: 62
  • new9.webp
    new9.webp
    149.4 KB · Views: 63
Thanks Gator....we have been really busy.....which is a very good thing...:)
 
Very good thing.......Looks like this helped make a few.

ForumRunner_20130810_204012.webp
 
At least for me...the majority look like this.

ForumRunner_20130810_205048.webp
 
We have plenty of them ourselves...:) That tool has sharpened many for sure!
 
Thank you for taking the time to chip in on this. Very nice displays you have there.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom