612.4 KB · Views: 51

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If it's really thin it could be a wood trim saw. Could be used for lots of things bone included. Like it.Congrats

Upvote 0

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if it is a bone saw, might not have a wood handle-- germs would be hard to keep off wood with dried blood and all. Meat cutters saw ok for a butcher to chop up meat and saw the bones in the meat. Could be maybe, is old from photo. HH

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's talking about germs on a saw. Have you ever seen or read accounts of the Civil War Surgeons tents? Hey Hank, Toss me your saw if you're done with it!

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice pick Indian Steve but yikes! If I had lived back then and been a soldier in the Civil War and saw (no pun intended) the Doctor coming at me with that Bone Saw, I would get my Yankee Doodle Dandy the hell out of there and I am from the South.:icon_pale::censored:

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Kray Gelder! Do you have any idea as to age?

I didn't find an exact match, with that blade brace, but all the saw/knife style like yours claimed to be civil war era field surgeon bone saws.

edit...Looks like Plug and Play found it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Butcher or surgeon? During the Civil War, they were one in the same. Very glad I missed that war. Gary
No kidding. You should look through the pages of a CW era surgeons manual and the images on how these implements were to be properly used.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A shot of back woods whiskey 10 people holding you down a steel pipe to bite on. I think an axe would be quicker and a blindfold. Then they stick the stump in a fire and your good for wood eehhhhhhh

Upvote 0

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That saw and others like it are are probably responsible for more soldiers deaths than bullets. Nice find.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Butcher or surgeon? During the Civil War, they were one in the same. Very glad I missed that war. Gary

Dang right! There is a house in Beverly, West Virginia at 770 Main Street (Hwy 250 South) which is next door to the old Beverly Bank (now Heritage Center) and no one really talks about because they are scared to do so. The house was used as a Hospital during the Civil War and many arms, hands, legs and feet that were amputated were buried in the yard of the home. It was and probably still is, one of the most haunted places in the United States. While we (myself, my wife and daughters) lived in the area (first in Dailey, then Elkins) from October 1984 to October 1994, the house was sold many times and on several occasions, the new owners had the home remodeled but keeping with it's historical look and architecture. However, each time the home sold, the new owners never stayed in the home a full night, then moved out because of the paranormal activities that occurred in and around the home day and night but mostly at night. There were a lot of soldiers who died and/or had appendages amputated in the Hospital as Beverly changed hands several times between Confederate and Union troops and the Battle of Rich Mountain occurred only a few miles West of the town of Beverly. The funny thing is, they have made the home into an Antique Mall but if customers knew how haunted the home is, I doubt they would shop there but if they do, they probably don't stay long. I wonder if the town had the arms, hands, legs and feet dug up and interred elsewhere in an attempt to quell some of the paranormal activity and I also wonder if they actually did so, if it worked!!??!!

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.840...4!1sYJ3ZRzPg081DtFbDwII69w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Oooooo! Great pick! Bad Ju Ju Bwana!

I'd be too freaked out to keep that in my house!

Maybe eBay time again....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread