JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was camping in Northern California coast and hiked a long way along the coast. Eventually came across an area in the cliff side where I could see layers of shell and bone where the cliff had eroded. I got curious and dug into the side and ended up finding some things I kept. Not sure how these got embedded so deep in the cliff face and so far from the water but these are my finds. I suspect they are whale parts but not completely sure and again no idea how they got up there. 20190707_173035.jpg

Upvote 18
So are the jawbones from a bear or multiple bears and the loose teeth from a juvenile sperm whale? Finding all those together makes me think it may be a native American bone midden/dumpsite, were the pieces scattered around in a manner not likely with a natural assemblage from a dead animal, were they mixed up and with shells of edible shellfish?
There were layers of shells, mollusk shells, clams, many bones, most of the shells were fragmented, the bones were mostly broken up was hard to find anything whole. But seemed there was different layers of things

I think Plumbata is correct. And there is probably some kind of law against picking up that kind of stuff in the land of fruits and berries - California. Look it up on the net.

You found a midden pile.... Delete your thread or you could get a knock on the door with court orders. This has happened many times.....

Eh I'm not worried about it. Wasn't on state land or a national park. So they can say what they want. California is a trash and doomed state anyways.

Lol sorry I really dislike my state it is going down the well craper. In my short 28 years I've watched it decay as the morons run it like idiots. (End of off topic rant)

I don't think it is native related anyways. It looks like the layers of an exposed self of where things settled when the ocean was higher I did quite a bit of research.

The vertebra looks like it might be Sea lion too. The teeth seem a mixed bag but there do look to be some whale or dolphin teeth in there.

I agree with Pumbata those loose tooffs do look like sperm whale tooffs that is an excellent find. Id hit that honey hole again before anyone finds out those tooffs are kinda rare

Sea lion, nice call!
If the layers continued evenly along the exposure then it sounds natural, but if your spot had a higher thickness or concentration of bone and shells in a localized "lens" then a native American midden would be likely, the larger rocks in some of your pics look out of place, if you go back and find flakes of debitage from knapping stone tools then it's probably a special spot. Very interesting finds regardless, the sperm whale teeth would be valuable but don't let the Cali Gestapo hear about it!

Great finds, cool place to hunt! :occasion14:

Sea lion, nice call!
If the layers continued evenly along the exposure then it sounds natural, but if your spot had a higher thickness or concentration of bone and shells in a localized "lens" then a native American midden would be likely, the larger rocks in some of your pics look out of place, if you go back and find flakes of debitage from knapping stone tools then it's probably a special spot. Very interesting finds regardless, the sperm whale teeth would be valuable but don't let the Cali Gestapo hear about it!
It continues all along the cliff wall for a few yards I do think it is natural there were no native tools or anything and it goes deep into the cliff.

Also the location is not easily or safely accessible I about broke myself just trying to get there I'm very adventurous. The climb and hike there is very difficult and tiring.

Eh I'm not worried about it. Wasn't on state land or a national park. So they can say what they want. California is a trash and doomed state anyways.
How close were you to a beach? Do a search for the (I believe) California Coastal Commissions website. They have a ton of laws on the book, just don't use them until it's profitable for the state. Example - Upper Newport Bay or as most of us knew/ know it Back Bay on the Dover Shores side. The bluffs are 20 or 30 feet of shells that are partially fossilized. We had been picking stuff since around 1960. Someone on the top of the bluff got all excited and filed a complaint. City, County, Harbor Dept. had nothing on the books, but the coastal commission did. So do a little studying and be safe. Keep your location quiet!! You've got a good spot. Also, remember there were several Indian tribes up & down the coast so you might be on the tip of that iceberg! I hear you on the dislike! I've watched it go downhill since 1959 or so, that's why I moved! Too expensive, too political, too crowded.

How close were you to a beach? Do a search for the (I believe) California Coastal Commissions website. They have a ton of laws on the book, just don't use them until it's profitable for the state. Example - Upper Newport Bay or as most of us knew/ know it Back Bay on the Dover Shores side. The bluffs are 20 or 30 feet of shells that are partially fossilized. We had been picking stuff since around 1960. Someone on the top of the bluff got all excited and filed a complaint. City, County, Harbor Dept. had nothing on the books, but the coastal commission did. So do a little studying and be safe. Keep your location quiet!! You've got a good spot. Also, remember there were several Indian tribes up & down the coast so you might be on the tip of that iceberg! I hear you on the dislike! I've watched it go downhill since 1959 or so, that's why I moved! Too expensive, too political, too crowded.
Yeah I've about had it with this state many are (fleeing this state) they pass laws that make no sense, they run with feelings not logic, they've gone way too far left, left is okay but with balance and that just isn't happening here, the tax burden is high and cost of living is becoming crippling. I have friends in their early 20 working multiple jobs in crappy apartments that still can't make it. It's getting ugly here. I'm just keeping the location quiet I know my state. I'm hours away from the area now back home in the central valley less commiefornia here.

Yeah I've about had it with this state many are (fleeing this state) they pass laws that make no sense, they run with feelings not logic, they've gone way too far left, left is okay but with balance and that just isn't happening here, the tax burden is high and cost of living is becoming crippling. I have friends in their early 20 working multiple jobs in crappy apartments that still can't make it. It's getting ugly here. I'm just keeping the location quiet I know my state. I'm hours away from the area now back home in the central valley less commiefornia here.
Cost of living. Here's an example that'll make you giggle or maybe cry. In 1963 one bedroom apartment on the Newport Peninsula $125 a month year round. On a 1998 visit same apartment with no upgrades except multiple coats of paint $925 a month winter $925 a week summer. 2000 sold for $ a little over 3 million & demoed. Another thing people in Cali. don't pay attention to is how many of the laws are felonies and how many misdemeanor offences are now felonies. Used to be the only thing I missed was the beach, but now having to wade through all the mess getting there spoils that too! I guarantee if you move out of the state you'll be kicking yourself in the rear wondering why the heck you didn't move years earlier.

I like this guy a LOT!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back