JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was camping in Northern California coast and hiked a long way along the coast. Eventually came across an area in the cliff side where I could see layers of shell and bone where the cliff had eroded. I got curious and dug into the side and ended up finding some things I kept. Not sure how these got embedded so deep in the cliff face and so far from the water but these are my finds. I suspect they are whale parts but not completely sure and again no idea how they got up there. 20190707_173035.jpg

Upvote 18
Cost of living. Here's an example that'll make you giggle or maybe cry. In 1963 one bedroom apartment on the Newport Peninsula $125 a month year round. On a 1998 visit same apartment with no upgrades except multiple coats of paint $925 a month winter $925 a week summer. 2000 sold for $ a little over 3 million & demoed. Another thing people in Cali. don't pay attention to is how many of the laws are felonies and how many misdemeanor offences are now felonies. Used to be the only thing I missed was the beach, but now having to wade through all the mess getting there spoils that too! I guarantee if you move out of the state you'll be kicking yourself in the rear wondering why the heck you didn't move years earlier.
I know many that moved out because it was too hard to make it here. Those I still keep in touch with say they are doing much better. I cannot comprehend why California runs itself like this. It's only good here if you are well of and wealthy. California likes to say it is better than other states but truth be told it is just larger and privileged with resources and good weather.

I too am with Plumbata. Some of the teeth are the same as some bear teeth I have here at home.
I'm not sure it's a bear, the jaw bones where the larger fang is too the smaller teeth by what I've noticed is too different than a bears. The huge fang on a bear is right next to the smaller teeth, whereas this jaw bone has a few inches of gap between the big tooth and the little ones

JVA5th, while definitely not in any way an expert, not even an amateur and I didn’t even sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, they may not be fossilized as Plumbata said as they may only be 11,000 years old and not dinosaur bones which are considerably older.

JVA5th, while definitely not in any way an expert, not even an amateur and I didn’t even sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, they may not be fossilized as Plumbata said as they may only be 11,000 years old and not dinosaur bones which are considerably older.
I wasn't thinking fossilized either nor dinosaur. I always figure fossils are mineralized, these are clearly not.

None taken. I’ve lived here my entire life and it’s a crap hole.
Yeah I came through Fresno not too long ago some areas there have gotten pretty ugly. I always here about shooting there in the local news. I avoid Fresno. Though my hometown of Merced is getting bad too.

Another Great Save, maybe a Walrus colony location, goldnugget

Great find, and very old, at one of the Alaskan coastal sites I found some interesting pieces that were located in a bank, won't say more until get back there and take some photos, not that old really but interesting man made stuff....

My daughter pays $3k a month for a one bedroom apartment in the land of fruits and berries.

Dang man, are those bones, teeth and claws of the extinct giant Short-Faced Bear? I believe they died out around 11,000 years ago. If so those are probably pretty valuable, better go get the rest before the California Ivory-Tower dwellers try confiscating them!

I was going to say that (;

Oregon is/has pretty much become a suburb of California.

Oregon is/has pretty much become a suburb of California.

I'm afraid to ask how much my daughter's little "efficiency" in downtown Portland costs.

My daughter pays $3k a month for a one bedroom apartment in the land of fruits and berries.

As ridiculous as it seems, IMO she might be better off renting than owning in such a housing bubble. My daughter insists the million dollar apartments in Portland are not a bubble - but when you live in a bubble, you don't see it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back