R_Arn15

Jun 24, 2019
South Ms.
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800
Older Whites IDX PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to the permission where I found the tax tokens and Wheaties today. My buddy found and 1895 Indian and I found this old medal Its folded as you can see but the writing is legible. It says The great state of Delaware and has two dates on it 1793 I believe and 1847. It has a small loop at the top like it hung from something else. Its a little bigger than a quarter I would say if it was flat. The good Lord only knows how it traveled to south Mississippi. Any help with ID would be appreciated. Posted on what is it forum also.

Medal1.jpeg

Medal2.jpeg

Upvote 8
pretty cool find. Im sure someone will chime in and help you out

Are its writings in English or Spanish? Have you considered it being a hammered coin?

Like I said. It says the seal of the great state of Delaware. Why would the be in Spanish?

It sounds and looks like it's 1 part of a 2 part medal. You may have the bottom part, and it's missing the top (ribbon) part. It could have been made to commemorate a special date in Delaware's history, although they did not become a state until 1787. Whatever it turns out to be, its a very nice find.

Interesting find! :icon_thumleft:

way cool find, one that in my book would make your day

National guard medal from the state of Delaware?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back