ribs 004.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 983
  • ribs 006.jpg
    ribs 006.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,002
  • ribs 008.jpg
    ribs 008.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 990
Do ribs have a pointy thing in the middle on the end? Mammal ribs don't. At least I don't think so.

What's in a Beaver tail? Is that bone?

Interesting find. Are you sure it's bone? Almost looks like wood.

Weird. Could it be a worn part of a palm-type frond? I think some types of palms have that central "rib" with a flattened area to each side. How big and heavy are they?

Bob.

Scale might have helped, eh? They're the size of a ruler's length (12 inches) and double the height. They're lightweight. A friend of mine thought they might have been fiberglass, but really didn't know for sure. The two are not identical like from a mold. Strange...

Interesting Darren...I'd drop them over in the "Fossils" forum and I bet somebody can tell you, I've had them ID sharks teeth for me and we have great discussions of coral skeletons...this would be different if nothing else. They do look like bone to me also, but it's hard to tell.

Jas

Done. Great idea, Jason. I had forgotten about that forum :)

turtle5.jpg

Thin turtle shell fragments

(A) Costal of a smooth, "thin-shelled" turtle (genus indet.), Besola. (B-E) Plastron fragments from Butoro; (B) peripheral or epiplastron, (C) peripheral, (D) neural, (E) plastron fragment.
TurtleShell.jpg

Yes, turtle bones (loggerhead to be exact) and actually I THINK they are illegal to possess. I don't think you can be in possession of loggerhead turtle bones, shells, eggs, etc. (threatened species).

Soooo Darren, did that Loggerhead taste like chicken? :D

tasty indeed I bet...
but can't take the place of a slow roasted Manatee basted w/Mojo.

Yep, you beat me to it, turtle it is!

Yes it is TURTLE.
I have a piece that is 9" long x 3.5" wide.
It is so old it is almost bleached white.
There appears to be somekind of scrimshaw carving on the outside.
Maybe what I have is some kind of map-you never know.
I have had if for over 30 years.
When I read this topic I remembered I had it and dug it out of my stuff.
I even recall where I found it.
Wonder if it would still be against the Law since it may be classed as an artifact.
I think that I will bring it to the EXPO AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS ::)
Thanks guys.
Peg Leg

Thanks for solving the mystery, guys. It is a rib indeed. Here's the best diagram that matches what I have...

Attachments

• turtle.JPG
    turtle.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,981
One of the greatest things about TreasureNet is seeing things I've never before seen or even knew existed. Who knew turtles had ribs? I never even gave it any thought - just assumed they had cartilage in place of bones...for buoyancy. Interesting info.

babyback turtle ribs taste like pork!

Darren in NC said:
I found these in the oyster beds just inside an inlet in SC. Curious as to what you think they are. Ribs? What animal?

Can't see them too well, but from what I can see, it looks like sea turtle bones. I've seen them many times after a turtle decomposes.

Thanks, IRS. It has indeed been confirmed as turtle ribs.

Peg Leg said:
Yes it is TURTLE.
I have a piece that is 9" long x 3.5" wide.
It is so old it is almost bleached white.
There appears to be somekind of scrimshaw carving on the outside.
Maybe what I have is some kind of map-you never know.
I have had if for over 30 years.
When I read this topic I remembered I had it and dug it out of my stuff.
I even recall where I found it.
Wonder if it would still be against the Law since it may be classed as an artifact.
I think that I will bring it to the EXPO AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS ::)
Thanks guys.
Peg Leg

I might be wrong, and hope I am (maybe someone can correct me) but I believe it is illegal to be in possession of sea turtle parts. I am sure no one here is going to give you problems, but if I am correct, you might want to be aware.

They're gone. Once I found out what they were, I had no need for them nor did I want to be in possession of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back