63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, if a fella was bored what would he gravitate to in late June?

So, if the remnants of a tropical storm were overhead and getting thicker what then?

So, if he was in relatively good physical condition but still had a touch of surgery speaking to his nerve endings, the question is whether or not to go?

The tropical storm remnants might drop a lot of water in the mountains then again there is no way of knowing for certain what it will change if anything. The river is very low @ 81 cfs and prime for prospecting. A 24 hour storm, all depends on its severity. If it is severe then the last two miles of dirt road could be tricky as even dry they require 4 wheel drive and compound low.

Wait and see I suppose is the situation however "things" are ready to load up.

200_0086_r1.jpg This pack is almost 36" x 36" x 16" deep and when the final items go into it, it will weigh 75 lbs which, happens to be 10 lbs lighter than typical. On the outside to the left of the picture is a 'virgin' Super Mini Bazooka Gold Trap, behind it is a minimalist air mattress. To the center of the pack is a light blue object/denim sack with my BatPan in it, the orange item is my SPOT messenger that went through a "test" send today and it passed superbly. On the right is a one man tent and behind it a foam pad. The GMT is in the pack along with all sorts of other 'necessary' items including food for 14 days and a full roll of toilet paper (no dry oak leaf rub on this trip!)

200_0085_r1.jpg Same pack with a few more external items like my knee brace and my hiking boots and the long dark stick to the far right of the picture is my 6' 2" hiking staff with a mountain bike handle bar grip glued to the top of it.

200_0087.JPG Ok, the front metal item is my insurance policy I carry with me, always! The two little fellas in the background are my erstwhile backpacking buddies that I've not been able to take with me for several years. I thought I would be able to bring them this time but not so as my weight limit has been reached, sorry Woof & Intrepid!

200_0089.JPG And this is the other item I had really wanted to bring with me on this special trip (if it happens) but alas it is a heavy though wonderful movie camera and so it must also remain behind. The guys and the camera are a real bummer to leave behind.

So these are the musings of a bored backpacking/prospecting junkie. So, if you'd wanted to get out in the hills late this week/early next week but will not be able to you are not alone, I feel your loss of enjoyment...............................63bkpkr

Oh, there is also the secondary gear pack that will come as far as the vehicle goes. It will sit there in case it is determined it is a must to bring in. Of course that will require a hike out and a hike back in with a pack that is just a bit heavier than the one pictured above. Such are the choices of a prospector, and people think we are a lazy bunch, shame on them!

Addendum:

And here is the gear bag on the freighter frame.
200_0091.JPG

Contents of the gear bag.
200_0090.JPG And the magic number for the gear bag pack is only 58 lbs and I'm surprised at that as I sure thought it was heavier than the main pack. But the last time I carried the gear pack I just strapped it onto the main pack (it was a lighter main pack) and the load together was strenuous.

Just fun and games!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jeff, either way you will have an adventure and being with your bother is another good reason to go fishing. My brother backpacked with me a couple of times and that was it. I sure did enjoy his company. I've been up to Alaska a few times to visit and once we went on a float trip Moose hunt and it was an adventure as well as an experience. Once the trigger is pulled the fun is over for many hours!!! I need to go see him again! Don't worry, the gold will pull hard enough on you at some point and you will get back to it. Especially after your freezer gets filled up with fish.........................63bkpkr/Herb

2003 Nfar Herb & Justin 6.JPG This is a picture of my son relaxing in a water fall on a hot day in the Sierras. I miss those times!

Great stories guys, love it!

Hey Herb...somehow I missed your follow up here....been kinda distracted. Had deep fried ling cod, baked beans and french fries tonight...outdoors around the campfire. Cooked half of half of what I had (guess it was bigger than 5 pounds) and gave the rest to some neighbors who had family here from Utah. Gave some Salmon to the other neighbor too. Then...Bryan calls me and said his fishing buddy John had 2 people fishing on board with him today with him and all 6 Salmon were 20+ pounds each. I had already confirmed on Wed we would finish the sluice Friday...BUT out comes the kryptonite and I'm off shore once again @ 5:30 am tomorrow. If we limit out early enough, we could still work on the sluice. Gawd I love my life. And yes, what family I do have and what we share together is worth more than all the gold out there...Thank God they all support me...and yet, driving by the river today, I know spots are there that have gold in them...and I want it.

Jeff, just wait till the fish come up the river, then you can
pan/sluice and fish at the same time..
woot-035.gif

Find a nice deep hole in the river (with a bank you can work), toss
out a big spin-n-glo with a chunk of yarn (or sardine?) hanging a few
inches out the back end. Add in a good rod holder and Bob's yer uncle!

Hey Jeff
Herb is out in the back country again this weekend...before he has to go back to work.

Thanks DD,
Ah yes...Salmon and then steelhead in the river, spin-in-glos and eggs. Sniping coming soon too as the river warms up.
BTW, Bryan fixed me up with a rod holder...a piece of 2 foot long 1&1/2" pvc duct taped to a 4' piece of rebar. KISS Genius!

Hey Jeff,
Sounds to me like you have a wonderful life, I would not mind doing a few of those things myself, well, actually all of them. Yup, I was out in them thar hills rootin around in the dirt, climbing, searching but alas not finding what I came there to find. I need more time off! How bad is the weather up your way in September?............................63bkpkr/Herb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back