What's new

Botched fishing weight?

gary s fl

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
269
Reaction score
61
Golden Thread
0
Location
Jacksonville, Fl
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
Made of lead. Weight 54 grams. Most of the cavity is about the size as the larger opening. Avg diameter 15/16". ???
 

Attachments

  • DSCN2877-1.webp
    DSCN2877-1.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 415
  • DSCN2875-1.webp
    DSCN2875-1.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 443
  • DSCN2876-1.webp
    DSCN2876-1.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 432
  • DSCN2874-1.webp
    DSCN2874-1.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 442
  • DSCN2872-1.webp
    DSCN2872-1.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 440
ldmorrill said:
These are called leaveitlay (leave-it-lay) when hunting with your dectecter and you fine one. thats what you do (leave it lay!)
Dont quit yer day job. ::)
 
Upvote 0
La Beep, at first I agreed with your ID but after thinking it over a bit, I'm not so sure because of the small dia. of the small hole. Also, it weighs almost 2 oz and it seems that the rope needed to support a lot of these weights would have to be at least 1/4" or 3/8" unless a small twine was used to attach the weight to the main perimeter rope and I doubt it would be made that way because a smaller twine would wear through quickly if it was dragged on the bottom. Then on the other hand you may be right and I'm full of beans. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
They used the same string the net was made out of, as far a dragging, it was placed between to objects and not moved around alot.
I have found lot of net weights and never seen one with two different size holes, so it may not be a net weight. But still my bet it is.
 
Upvote 0
Over the years I have found 2 lead balls that had holes in them like that. Both had wood in the holes and both were dug in civil war camps. I have no idea what they were used for though.
 
Upvote 0
These are called leaveitlay (leave-it-lay) when hunting with your dectecter and you fine one. thats what you do (leave it lay!) ..

I disagree...I am confident it is spanish, for I have dug many...It is a peeso-chit.
 
Upvote 0
Could be a loom weight. Do a GIS and there are plenty examples of them there. They are common finds on very old sites in England.
 
Upvote 0
ldmorrill said:
These are called leaveitlay (leave-it-lay) when hunting with your dectecter and you fine one. thats what you do (leave it lay!)

LOL , I'm just done cleaning off my keyboard and monitor after choking up what I was swallowing while reading you're most educated guess ;D.
 
Upvote 0
Yeah....I got a chuckle from that, but I busted my gut with gtfd47's Spanish ID :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
It's a beatup fishing weight. I can't find a good pic of one, but I have seen the mold. A scissors mold that has a cone shape pin that forms the hole. It is cone shaped so you can open the mold back up!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom