What's new

Bottle collectors

Burdie

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2005
Messages
5,591
Reaction score
90
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any information on this kind of bottle would be appreciated. what it was used for and or how old? I don't know a thing about bottle collecting. It says Prickly Ash Bitters on the front. I can't see any other markings. 9.5 inches tall. Thanks.
tallbottle.webp

Burdie
 

Attachments

  • tallbottle.webp
    tallbottle.webp
    92.1 KB · Views: 330
Hey Burdie, that is a nice looking bottle. I don't know much about it, but there are three guys down in the bottle forum that I know could help: Harry Pristis, Road Dog, and gleaner1. You might post it down there and one of them guys should give you all the info you need.
 
Upvote 0
It's a BIM (blown in mold) bottle and would have had a paper label attached around 3 sides of it. It probably dates to around the turn of the century or late 1800's.
 

Attachments

  • PricklyAshB.webp
    PricklyAshB.webp
    35.2 KB · Views: 343
Upvote 0
WOW. It looks like you found a really good one. My price guide lists it at $150-200. Nice find.
 
Upvote 0
Bitters demand high prices.
 
Upvote 0
Wow You guys are fantastic. Thank you. The bottle has tiny little chips on the very edges of the bottle. It has no cracks and part of the cork is still in the bottle. Some thing is in the bottle but can't tell what. It is not liquid. I did not realize these had a three sided label. Since I don't collect bottles I would sell it to TNetters if they are interested.
Thanks for the information friends.
Burdie
 
Upvote 0
Well then if you were going to sell it the value wont go down too much unless you get a very picky collector. I would buy it but i dont really have any money.
 
Upvote 0
nice bottle Burdie. did you find it in that bottle dump we went to?
 
Upvote 0
hello,burdie how are you i have been diging bottles for a few years and the bottle you found is around the mid 1890's. most bitters bottles are very collectable. the bottle you found reminds me of a "father john's" bottle that we dig here in bangor maine. the bottle you found was used for.... "Purify the sewers of the body and stimulate the digestive organs to maintain health, strength and energy. Prickly Ash Bitters is a tonic for the kidneys, liver, stomach and bowels. Sold by Harbert & Sheldon. i hope this helps you a bit. if i were you i would go pic around where you found it maybe thers more there. great find.
ben.
 

Attachments

  • pabcard.webp
    pabcard.webp
    61.8 KB · Views: 260
  • PricklySpoon.webp
    PricklySpoon.webp
    51 KB · Views: 250
Upvote 0
Hey thanks every one great information. God I love this forum. BigCyp I learned something on the check mark. Cool :thumbsup:

Burdie
 
Upvote 0
just a quick fallup... most bottles that were made before 1865 have a "ponytail" on the bottom. just thought i would throw that in. god bless. ben.
 
Upvote 0
bangorguy said:
just a quick fallup... most bottles that were made before 1865 have a "ponytail" on the bottom. just thought i would throw that in. god bless. ben.
I never heard of the word ponytail? Do you have a pic?


ADDED: ;D Ah, I think you mean "pontil" mark. http://www.sha.org/bottle/pontil_scars.htm
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom