Bottles found while metal detecting

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Another new site with a friend, found some interesting items but continued when I was walking over to find my friend in the woods, right before I approached him I look down and this bottle is just laying there, only the neck of the bottle was not exposed, I could not believe when I pulled it out it was complete and in incredible shape. Of course the detectors were turned off and we went into dig mode. We ended up with 9 complete bottles in around 2 hours, along with a bunch of heartbreakers and cut fingers. Cant wait to go back

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 14
Nice looking bottles! :icon_thumright:

Neat finds! I like the cod liver oil bottle.

Any value in them?

I noticed they're cork bottles and not screw lids and I've heard cork bottles can b worth a pretty penny might have to do some research

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Nice finds.I have never found any bottles.But they are a thing of beauty to me.

That's pretty neat you just came upon these bottles whole detecting.I think I need to go find some woods and use take off.

That's AMAZING ITS LIKE YOU WENT BACK IN TIME ABOUT 50 OR 60 YEARS AGO.ALL THE OLE TIMERS I HAVE TALKED TO HAVE TOLD ME THATS HOW IT WAS WHEN THEY FIRST GOT INTO BOTTLE HUNTING ALL THE HAD TO DO WAS SCRAPE AROUND AND THERE THEY WERE CONGRATS ON FINDING WHAT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO DO ANYMORE (WITHOUT DIGGIN LIKE A GROUND HOG) GREAT FINDS I WOULD BE BACK THERE ASAP BEFORE THE WORD GETS OUT AND SOMEBODY ELSE IS REAPING THE REWARD

Great bottles. My sons got lucky this summer a found hundreds of old bottles. You can check the value on the bottle sites similar to this site. Also an ebay search will give you an idea of the value. If I found them I would keep them. Good luck finding more.

Great bottles. Go back, there's more. Dig or scratch around. You got some 19th century stuff there and more waiting. Most your finds in the Bottles and Glass section under Artifacts.

W201.jpg

"John C. Baker & Co. wholesale dealers & importers of drugs,
medicines, chemicals, paints & dye stuffs, No. 100, North
Third St. Philadelphia.
(On stone by W. H. Rease No. 17 So. 5th St., 1849)
Wainwright Lithograph Collection, Library Company of Philadelphia."​

Hello Smilodon,

A real treat to find pre 1900 bottles intact on the surface, sir. The Baker Cod Liver Oil is my favorite, so far, but I'm a bottle guy and wanna see the other 7 and the shardage, too, please. The Bottle guys always want to see photos of the base and the neck, where the seams rise to the finish.

I'd wanna be returning to that place soon, with some serious shovels & scratchers. Maybe there's a Citrate hiding still...

2336EX.jpg

Wonderful old bottles!:blob9: :notworthy:

Granny (me) sez: wear gloves next time, avoid the cuts! I tell myself same thing though don't always follow my own advice, lol. HAVE FUN! Andi

Gotta love the freebies !!!! Congrats !!!

Pictures of the other bottles.

Here are the pictures of all the bottles that afternoon. The one black glass bottle had a "K" on the bottom, any idea what that is for? One of the bottles is a Mexican Mustang Liniment, two others are Charleston doctors and the remainder are plain. Yep purchased some gloves this time and will post the next time I visit the site.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 77
Very Nice collection..Most my "older" bottles are from the 50s and 60s....so not really that old...great Digs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back