Bounty Hunter Quick Silver

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are wanting to stick with Bounty Hunter.....the Lone Star Pro is great at $150.

Here is a video rundown I did of the one I own.... https://youtu.be/iMv8iXtO-F0
And my first day out with it.... https://youtu.be/gx1kvvCYchA

Multiple notches
3 tones
Target depth meter that is actually quite functional
8 sensitivity settings (on max I have never once had chatter near HUGE power lines)

I love mine and it brought me my first silver and a 1930's tax token. It has performed flawlessly on coins at 6-7 in in dirt and will get you as many crushed cans as you want at 2 feet deep. I usually stop digging at about a foot once I realize it is not a coin.

That being said....I feel I have out-grown it and my wife has too. For $50 more you can have the Quick Draw Pro for $200 and have a much better detector - and one I feel we would NOT have outgrown so quickly. That does not mean I am disappointed with it...just that I am craving the next step up.

If the extra $50 is out of the question....the Lone Star Pro is worth every penny of $150.

OP
OP
Guster

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No i just wanted a cheap starter to see if its my thing. I will buy a much better one if warranted by ability of the unit.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No i just wanted a cheap starter to see if its my thing. I will buy a much better one if warranted by ability of the unit.

Well like most things...the more you pay the more you get. Not always of course...but in many cases.

If you are unsure MDing is for you...but $200 is not out of the question...I would still choose the Quick Draw Pro as it is the better detector by a fair margin and worth the extra $50. There are not many (if any) units at $200 that can hang with its abilities and feature set.

If you end up liking the hobby, you will not feel the need to upgrade the $200 Quick Draw Pro as quickly as you would the $150 Lone Star Pro.

Best of luck with whatever detector you get. Keep us posted. :occasion14:

rickster

Greenie
Nov 23, 2015
chicago il
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick silver- Ace250 - Whites M-6 - at Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with a quick silver. Found 8 silver rings- 20in silver chain and about .365.00 my first season. That was about three years ago,

OP
OP
Guster

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i was bidding on ebay for a garrett 250 but it went higher than i wanted to spend at the time so i ordered this one. I figure if I like doing it like I believe I will then I will keep it as a backup and get a better one.

I figure this one is good for under water past beach line because its submersible until the control box.

OP
OP
Guster

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus I need a good enough one for my son when I can get him to join

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you are in Indiana....so I will assume you mean lake beaches. These detectors will NOT do well in wet salt-water beaches. Dry sand yes...wet salt water sand....no.

Just throwing that out there.

In lake water or wet sand...should be no issue.

OP
OP
Guster

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it would be lake for me. Then I would be looking to use in Arizona desert regions on vacation.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Quick Silver is a 5 out of 10 detecting. It's give you a taste of detecting. Your best bet is to buy a good used detector. Right now there is a 505 for under $100 on EBay. A Pioneer 505 is a good choice for older BHs, as they are easy to use and have best depth and info to get you started. But a better choice would be a used Fisher F2 that can be had for $150. It will teach TID and pinpointing, which is common on most detectors today. The Ace 250 has no TID, so the F2 is a better choice. If you can find a used Quick Draw Pro around $150, even better. If you did get a 505, you can get less expensive coils that work with both detectors you would have. There is an F2 on EBay right now for $159 but it is not worth it. Like new used F2s with the extra 4" coil is usually sold for anywhere from $125 to $150.

OP
OP
Guster

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I most likely plan to use this to get acquainted then I will pass this to my son and get an upgrade.

Phantasman...is that a reference to the movie?

OP
OP
Guster

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the advice here. Its starting to sound like buying a detector is the same as buying a car brand...everyone has a liked model they say is better. I never realized there could be so much disparity between detectors and so many on the market.

OP
OP
Guster

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also learned about using google earth to search for good spots to hunt. Thats a great idea because I was going to go try to find historical maps for my area

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Phantasm. The Fisher F2 is a great little machine and I've seen them for 100 bucks on Craigslist numerous times; and one of them even came with headphones and a cheapy pinpointer. That's basically less than half price.

It's a more up to date unit and I think you'd notice a big difference. The Quicksilver is a fine machine for what it is. It's basically an entry level machine to learn the basics with. You WILL find treasure with it. OTOH, you may miss a few targets that other detectors will see better.

I started off with a low end BH (Tracker IV) myself and although I've since upgraded a few times, I found gold and silver rings, silver coins, old coins and lots of other really good stuff with it. Don't let anyone tell you you won't because if you just get out there and use it you'll find stuff. In this hobby, just showing up is well over half the battle.

The Teknetics machines are great too. I have a Delta I got used for 175.00, it's paid for itself several times over and has MANY hunts left in it. It's a really great detector for the money.
In the end it's about personal preference as well as how and where you're hunting. You want something that connects with YOU and one that functions and feels right for your hunting style.

Luckily for you there are some great machines out there these days at ridiculously good prices. The technology has really taken a nice leap in the last few years. It's really a great time to be on the buying end of this hobby.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Phantasman...is that a reference to the movie?

What makes you say that?

maxresdefault.jpg

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate all the advice here. Its starting to sound like buying a detector is the same as buying a car brand...everyone has a liked model they say is better. I never realized there could be so much disparity between detectors and so many on the market.

Just be patient and do some looking around. All cars get you from point A to Point B, and all detectors detect metal. After awhile you'll know if someone is misleading you. I've had over a dozen different detectors over 12 years and speak from that experience. But we all tend to learn something new everyday.

OP
OP
Guster

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats funny. Thats one of my favorite old movies. Rip angus, i hope they got the newest movie done before he passed away recently.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What makes you say that?

View attachment 1264761

I'm probably dating myself but I saw that in the theater when it first came out.

My then best friend (who died last year) and I double dated and that's the flick we saw. Frankly I found it to be pretty nasty and so did my date' especially when that metal ball drilled into that dudes head. She wouldn't let go of me the whole time so I was quite happy....

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol.........

The pic. Notice the camera crew and camera's in the ball's reflection. Phantasm was cheaply made, but effectively smart by an 18 year old who wrote and directed it.

phantasm_4.jpg

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol.........

The pic. Notice the camera crew and camera's in the ball's reflection. Phantasm was cheaply made, but effectively smart by an 18 year old who wrote and directed it.

View attachment 1266955

I never knew about that reflection. Pretty cool....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions