Bout ready to hang up my MD

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I live in a small town(about 150 people). We have a really popular restaurant here that draws people from all over. The restaurant is right across the street from the city park. Tonight I decided to hunt the park in the dark with my headlamp because after dark was the only time I had. I hunted about an hour. While I was at the park some out of town people came out of the restaurant and yelled," hey buddy if you need some money I can give you some you dont need to dig for it." I just ignored him. Of course he was like the preppy frat boy type with a bunch of people all around him. Afterwords I thought that I should have yelled back," Hey buddy see that Dodge Hemi Charger sitting over there, that is mine. Dont forget that when you are climbing into your Toyota that mommy and daddy bought for you, you f-ing prick. If he came over I could have just shanked him with my lesche. So that was the first straw. Shortly after that some little teenage gum chewing teeny boppin girls came out of the restaurant and came into the park. I overheard them say yeah what a wierdo. That is just weeeeiiird. He must be poor. I could also hear another little teeny bopper imitating my MD. She was saying beep, beep, bbeep, bb, bbb, bbbeep. Yeah, I am poor. That is why I spend hundreds of dollars on a hobby so I can dig holes in the local park looking for pennies. So I just packed up my stuff, came home, and started drinking. Thinkin about just hanging up my MD for awhile. Wouldn't be so bad if I had someone to go with. I am just really pissed off at the world tonight. The last couple of days I have been thinking about what I have been through and it is really getting me down.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last summer I was detecting at a beach (I was on vacation) and a couple of 20 something guys came up to poke some fun at me. They asked how much my machine cost and what was I finding with it? I said about $600 and today I'm mostly digging pennies but I'm enjoying myself. They laughed and remarked about spending $600 for pennies. So I asked, "Do you like cigarettes?" (They were both smoking.) They didn't answer. I asked, "How much do you spend on cigarettes?" Then I raised my detector towards them and said, "This is my cigarette." They moved on...

It is not about the pennies, it is about the pleasure. Don't let anybody keep you from enjoying your hobby.

DCMatt

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Steve, Thats life to some young people! They try to bring other people down in order to make themselves look good. They usually do this when they are in a group. they are trying to impress their "friends". If you weren't there, they would be nocking one of their "friends".
Ignore them and you win! The shrinks call their problem low selfesteem. You know who you are, you don't need their qualification.

DavyJonesLocker

Apr 26, 2010
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Mug the little b------s think of all the money they have that they don't need and are going to waste anyway.Proable the money you are finding they threw away anyway.Nothing worse than spoiled rotten little brats.

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Frankn said:
Steve, Thats life to some young people! They try to bring other people down in order to make themselves look good. They usually do this when they are in a group. they are trying to impress their "friends". If you weren't there, they would be nocking one of their "friends".
Ignore them and you win! The shrinks call their problem low selfesteem. You know who you are, you don't need their qualification.

Frankn, I think a bunch of the replies that addressed this threads topic said the same thing you did, however, I really liked the way you stated it the most. I wanted to have input myself but wasn't sure how to state it but I think you nailed it straight up. :icon_thumright:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
TONY66 Thanks for the compliment. It was just honest thought.

ShootTheMoon

Apr 20, 2010
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100, Pioneer 101
Steve:
Find a penny pick it up, all day long have good luck. :wink:
Never give up!

Ok....off topic (maybe) I dunno. When asked what I do for a living I say I do many things, do you want to know what pays half/all the bills, what my M-F/8-5 is or what pays for the other half and my recreational habits?

I get many laughs when I am metal detecting or tell people I do, scouring the thrift stores/yard sales/library for books/trinkets, and when riding a mutt of a horse into the competition ring.

I don't care...laugh, make rude comments, but in the end those coins, relics, those 1st E Hardbacks I pay $1 and turn into $5-$100ea., and when my grade Belgian/Quarter mix brings in the blue...I'm the one laughing...in triumph!

I consider myself to still be young at almost 30...and the things I do, people always tell me is so "old fogyish". Especially, when they are sunbathing on the beach and I am walking around looking like a mad scientist. Or training a smelly horse or at a thrift store on the weekends when they are at the mall.
I don't care and neither should you. I am proud to be a Geek and weird.
You should be too.

Keep a nice sparkly ring or whatever in your pocket and if you really want to respond next time, smile, pull it out and say "Well....I guess this little baby is going to pay the light bill, I'm so broke." :laughing9:

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
I wonder if it would be Illegle to cordon an Area off with yellow"Crime Scene"tape?

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've said it before and I will repeat it.

Get yourself a orange vest and a hardhat.

When I wear that in questionable and/or public areas I become invisible.

The citizens don't bat an eye and even the police ignore you.

Detect away :wink:

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a shirt with a big FBI on the back. On the front in small letters you can have " Finding Buried Items" :laughing9:

IntoTheFire

May 3, 2010
New Jersey (South)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 / Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
richm said:
How about a shirt with a big FBI on the back. On the front in small letters you can have " Finding Buried Items" :laughing9:

That's great! My cousin owns a Shirt Business, and I am going to have him make a bunch for me. I may even put a few on eBay. Thanks for the idea :laughing7:

Ellijayjoe

Sep 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX/ V3/ BHID
I too feel this way sometimes. I do not want to preach, but you inspired me this morning.

It is funny, I got over the fear of public speaking (15 years) and now can speak to large and small groups with no problem, but I still feel odd when someone watches me metal detect.

There are two things I like to remember when I feel this way. The first is a line from the movie "As Good as It Gets", I think. One character says "The best thing you have going for you is your willingness to humiliate yourself" I think it was said as a dig, but I take it as a compliment.

The second is a saying associated with Dr. Richard Feynman. His wife inspired him by inscribing it on a box of pencils that he used daily. They said, "What do you care what other people think?" If you are not familiar with him, look him up. The books on his life and accomplishments were great. ( I guess the modern version is "WTF do you care what other people think.)

PS I like the other ideas posted too! You guys are too creative!

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
montepollock said:
I wonder if it would be Illegle to cordon an Area off with yellow"Crime Scene"tape?

Funny you should ask this....
I can't tell you the number of times I thought....
If only I could go to that really old park, that's been hunted and hunted...
set up an area and tell people I am putting in a flower bed / Garden...
Dig it up and use a deep tiller on the soil, and before I plant the flowers...
clean it out of all metal objects...
Thus we beautify the land and we clean their clocks....
:notworthy: :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: :thumbsup: :D ;D :wink: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Don't give your beloved hobby, In my times mexican kids run and tell the parnents say I'm magic when they see me pulling money out of the ground.
I would love to go Metal Detecting with you, I'm always looking for a fellow treasure hunter.
here in arizona not many people make fun of treasure hunters.

ShootTheMoon

Apr 20, 2010
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100, Pioneer 101
richm said:

I recently bought 2 baseball type hats....VERY nice knockoffs at a flea market. One that says Sheriff and one that says Marshall.
I mean they look like the real deal. No, I do not impersonate officials, nor will I ever say I am a Marshall or Sheriff.
But I do wear them to MD and when I ride my horses. I have only wore the Marshall hat once on a construction site while MDing and had 2 police officers pull up, I waved, they left with out any questions asked. I guess if that were to ask me what I was doing I might joke and say, looking for missing bodies. Which may or may not go well. :-\ I do have a Search and Rescue license for my dog. :D
I usually ride my horse on private land, but sometimes it crosses a piece of Nat'l Forestry and I don't want to run into a Ranger and get the 20Q's. That's only happened once while I was wearing the Sheriff hat....he tipped his hat, asked how the trails looked, and then headed off on his ATV, with me saying one word "Good". Rarely do I run into Rangers, but it helps to look "professional". I felt like if I wasn't wearing the hat(s) I would have gotten all sorts of questions!
But who really knows, maybe they were nice law enforcement officers.
Been there, done that and now got the hat! :wink:

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IntoTheFire said:
richm said:

That's great! My cousin owns a Shirt Business, and I am going to have him make a bunch for me. I may even put a few on eBay. Thanks for the idea :laughing7:
I want a free one! ;D

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
don't let anyone discourage you from doing things you enjoy!!!
my sister makes fun of me all the time. i look at lead bullets and dream of an 18 year old kid raising a heavy rifle, arms shaking, heart pounding...a trigger is pulled, a mark is missed, and 150 years later here i am....at the spot where his bullet came to a rest.
my sister looks at the lead bullet and says "wow a glob of lead."
different strokes for different folks.
i cant remember the last time i even payed attention to a 15 year old girl. i do remember beating up a 20 something frat boy (or three)...back in college..

WAres

Apr 30, 2011
Puyallup, WA
Goonies never say die!

Attachments

• OUTSIDE 025.jpg
    OUTSIDE 025.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 792

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That banner should be enough to keep you going- aim for the banner find!!

When I see someone MDing, I don't see them as poor but as someone who had $1000. to drop on a high end machine. If it bothers you try to find out of the way places, old farms, cellar holes in wooded places where people don't bother you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread