What's new

bowie knife? possible bayonet need help identifying

wotdlois

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
55
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Location
NJ
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Guys

Picked this up the other day for a $1 and are having a hard time identifying it as its worn to the point that all id's are long gone. Double edged, s guard, brass wooden handle, blade is 9" almost too short to be a bayonet but the pommel end has signs that it was once able to be attached to the business end of a rifle. Its been hammered to hell but shows signs of a spring mechanism of some kind. Not sure really maybe its simply the handle seams that i am seeing. any help appreciated. I am thinking ww1 maybe spanish american and for whatever reason it screams navy to me.

thanks
wot
 

Attachments

  • 0918151718a.webp
    0918151718a.webp
    58 KB · Views: 176
  • 0918151718.webp
    0918151718.webp
    64.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 0918151719.webp
    0918151719.webp
    68 KB · Views: 157
  • 0918151719a.webp
    0918151719a.webp
    75.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 0918151719b.webp
    0918151719b.webp
    56.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 0918151719c.webp
    0918151719c.webp
    77.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 0918151719d.webp
    0918151719d.webp
    65.5 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 2
If its double edged its an Arkansas toothpick.Bowies arent double edged.
 
great thank you - this helps narrow down the search.
 
any idea as to era? or even if its military or maybe civilian hunting type knife.
 
any idea as to era? or even if its military or maybe civilian hunting type knife.

Thats a tough one not knowing anything about it or holding it.I know they were quite popular during the civil war.Men carried personal weapons along with issued weapons during just about every war if not all.It could of seen action but theres no way of knowing for sure unless theres any documentation with it.Say a letter written by a soldier stating he bought the knife and had a picture of him taken holding it.They were also popular with civilians.Not specifically made for hunting,they were made for fighting.
 
thank you for your input its a wonderful help.
 
Weapons are my weakest subject, but if I had to guess the construction & materials scream late 19th C to me.
 
Good call hunter,good possibilty.I wasnt thinking trench knife.I was thinking older.
 
Blade has the appearance of being made from a file...possibly had a hard life
 
Thanks red James cash
I thought I had seen one similar on the show pawn stars once. That's what made me think of it Lol.
 
I have one but it looks a little,well alot,more nasty than this one thats posted.:laughing9:The looks of the blade threw me off.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom