BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The box contained 1 silver dime

1963d

...the box contained $247.30/$250... $2.70 short.

This is the 2nd box in a row exactally $2.70 short.

Total loss between the 2 boxes: $5.40

Gain: 2 silver dimes valued at: $6.35

... gain: $0.95

The box was brinks as well. Can't complain too much, did 4 boxes of dimes this year and they consistantly produced 1 dime per box...

box1: 2 silvers
box2: skunk
box3: 1 silver
box4: 1 silver

Upvote 0

bsktbllsam

Apr 16, 2011
How do you know for the box short and the coin counter wasn't off? Or did you count them all? Same thing happened to me with a brinks box too 2 days ago was short $2.40, but I assumed it was the penny arcade that was off...Got 1 silver out of that box so broke even basically.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bsktbllsam said:
How do you know for the box short and the coin counter wasn't off? Or did you count them all? Same thing happened to me with a brinks box too 2 days ago was short $2.40, but I assumed it was the penny arcade that was off...Got 1 silver out of that box so broke even basically.
I open the rolls as I go, count every coin then throw into a pail. Not only will I know that the box is short, I will also know since I counted the coins myself, if penny arcade was off.

Never ever was the penny arcade off by more than $2.10... usually it is right on or $.25 short. (I consider this the fee of CRH and taking advantage of the machine :headbang:)

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Do as I have recommended many times here before on this board

Get yourself a scale.. open the box there at the bank... weigh the rolls, if the rolls are short.. just exchange with the teller for a new roll.

Of course, I search clear wrapped boxes only

I've always found the dime boxes are short more often than not. After I did this, no more problems on being short. Do yourself a favor and get a scale.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
Do as I have recommended many times here before on this board

Get yourself a scale.. open the box there at the bank... weigh the rolls, if the rolls are short.. just exchange with the teller for a new roll.

Of course, I search clear wrapped boxes only

I've always found the dime boxes are short more often than not. After I did this, no more problems on being short. Do yourself a favor and get a scale.
thanks for the tip SF, I think it would be a little intimidating for the tellers if I

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think unfortunately the scale idea would be a great way to get banks to not want to do business with you in my opinion.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
StevoCBR said:
I think unfortunately the scale idea would be a great way to get banks to not want to do business with you in my opinion.

What? I have brought a scale in the bank everytime I have done a box of dimes. All banks that know me, accept it. Some think it's cool. Some banks don't understand it at first but after counting the coins in the roll that is short, they believe me. I have used the scale system for a year now and I have had NO problems with it whatsoever.

Some CRHers are hush-hush about what they're doing. I am open and honest about it so I tell the tellers that from my experience some of the rolls maybe short and I got tired of inserting extra dimes at my own expense. ALL of them to this date are ok with it. A lot of it is based on how you talk to these tellers. :wink:

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool and what ever works for you. But if you talking about breaking open ever $250 box you buy, and weigh each of the 50 rolls. Then brother let me tell what the teller is thinking. OH crap it's the roll guy. I will bet all my silver....Not really but I would bet lunch:) That 99.5% of tellers polled would not be cool with a customer wanting to weigh each roll.

I feel ya about not wanting to get shorted and money it's tight all around right now. And you may have caught some serious bucks. But I am surprised that any banks haven't cut that out, unless you have descent business accounts. I completely understand your desire to do so, but do believe that tellers look at it as a nuisance.

byrne3

Mar 4, 2011
There is one bank in my area (in a downtown location) that I have taken dollar coins to. I deposited about $200 of the presidential dollars. It's only 8 rolls, but they had to take ALL of the coins out of every roll and count to make sure each one had 25 coins in it. Then they put the coins back into the rolls. In one of the rolls, she was like "gotcha, you only have 24 in this roll". Well, it turned out that my count was correct, but there was still another coin in the wrapper that didn't get dumped out on the counter. All in all, I held up the line for 20 minutes over just depositing 8 rolls..

So as far as doing something like this for 50 rolls (if you're just ordering one box), or multiples of that, I can see how that would be irritating.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
StevoCBR said:
That's cool and what ever works for you. But if you talking about breaking open ever $250 box you buy, and weigh each of the 50 rolls. Then brother let me tell what the teller is thinking. OH crap it's the roll guy. I will bet all my silver....Not really but I would bet lunch:) That 99.5% of tellers polled would not be cool with a customer wanting to weigh each roll.

I feel ya about not wanting to get shorted and money it's tight all around right now. And you may have caught some serious bucks. But I am surprised that any banks haven't cut that out, unless you have descent business accounts. I completely understand your desire to do so, but do believe that tellers look at it as a nuisance.

You must have A-hole tellers where you are. I would take you up on your bet for lunch but we're in different areas it's hard to show you how I do it. Some banks are advesarial but many are not. They're not going to fret about one dime being some in a roll from a box. I asked one bank what they do with the roll that is short. They said they send it back to Brinks so it's not a problem for them. Like I said, I've done this for a year. You have be confident when you go in and do it. You have to show them that you're knowledgeable about this hobby. Once people see that you know what you're doing and that you're not ripping them off, they will let you do it. I have had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever doing this. Plus, if you get to exchange for additional rolls, it gives a chance to look for more keepers. I've gotten a keeper when I exchanged a couple short rolls for full ones.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
byrne3 said:
There is one bank in my area (in a downtown location) that I have taken dollar coins to. I deposited about $200 of the presidential dollars. It's only 8 rolls, but they had to take ALL of the coins out of every roll and count to make sure each one had 25 coins in it. Then they put the coins back into the rolls. In one of the rolls, she was like "gotcha, you only have 24 in this roll". Well, it turned out that my count was correct, but there was still another coin in the wrapper that didn't get dumped out on the counter. All in all, I held up the line for 20 minutes over just depositing 8 rolls..

So as far as doing something like this for 50 rolls (if you're just ordering one box), or multiples of that, I can see how that would be irritating.

I get the box at the teller. I take the box off to weigh them in the wait area or an empty desk. I only take the rolls that are short to exchange with the teller later. Real simple. They're not gonna care about some dimes but being that you're doing dollars, I can see that they don't want to be off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions