What's new

box of pennies & 57$ in halves

stu123

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
box of pennies & 57$ in halves

My favorite bank which told me they would save halves for me only has what was in the trays. But they were nice enough to sell me a box of pennies from the vault. This bank tends to have the new pennies. She again promised to save me halves! We shall see.
the 25$ box of pennies - 34 rolls of cabins
of the remaining 8$ in rolls:
1945 s
1957
5 cabins
59d
64d
68 X 2
68s
1981 & 1969 canadian
of 57$ in halves from 5 banks:
Zilch!
But I did keep 3 to fill in missing years in my date set. Oh & one 1983 with faint FG initials (doesn't the FG have to be totally missing?) in so - so shape.
I don't know weather to be happy about 34 rolls of cabins or not. They seem to be flooding circulation right now. still haven't seen the last 2 designs yet
You folks think the cabins are worth hanging on to? I have a whole box now + 8 rolls of heads on both ends which are 99% likely cabins.
My banking - bank says there is alot of halves in the vault. Pay day coming up, we shall see if they don't ship them off from under me. I have a feeling that is someones dump bank. Someone who ONLY searches for 90%'s cause my last 300$ something from there netted a few 40%'s and a 1983s.
I'm sure tired of seeing bicentennials!
 
Upvote 0
Re: box of pennies & 57$ in halves

Howdy Stu,

I usually buy whatever halves are on hand, even if I expect that it's a dump. I figure it this way: You never know if someone dumped $300.00 in halves and then another person came in and cashed in 2 solid rolls of Walking Libertys or Franklins. I bought $100 from a bank recently and some of it was obviously a dump. One roll looked like it was marked 68. I thought....hmm....that's probably actually full of '89s and is someone's attempt at humor (someone reading this post might even be laughing right now). It was. A solid roll of '89 halves. But a couple of rolls later, I did pull 3 40%ers out of a roll from that same buy, so obviously at least two people had contributed to the halves that I'd bought. Good luck if you pick 'em up.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
Re: box of pennies & 57$ in halves

Kantuck,

Had the same thing happen to me . Picked up somewhere around 400.00 in a marked dump, but found a solid roll of 40%, and two partial rolls.
On the flip side I've picked up some spectacular dumps many times. Then again it's no worse than 3 or 4 skunk boxes, and everyone gets them.
Also picked up dumps where the dumper missed a coin.
The best one was this miserable teller sells me a hundred or so in rolls and then says,with a snarl on her puss,"you wont find any silver in there,all the rolls have dates". They had dates alright. Three of the rolls were dated 1964-1969.
 
Re: box of pennies & 57$ in halves

I have a bank I cleaned out of halfs and they told me they keep any silver they can see, but don;t search rolls until opened. I went back and dumped 360 in rolled halfs, which was all they had on hand. Now, a week later, the teller tells me someone else brought in 130 rolled halfs, so it looks like I am going after my own dumps. Who knows, just might be silver in those other rolls. All I know for sure is, if I clean out the vault, anything else has potential. Good Luck!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom