What's new

Box of pennies...thought I hit the jackpot...but no....

willisjj

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2005
Messages
91
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola
Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign GT, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
Went through a box of pennies this evening and came up with my fair share of 40's and 50's wheats. Then I pulled a 1922 wheatie out and thought nothing of it, through it in my "wheatie container" and continued on. Later I was looking at a website and checking out some of the key dates and found out that the 1922 (no mint mark) was worth a pretty good bundle. Frantically, lol, I dug out that '22 again and alas....it was a "D". Oh well, it is still worth a couple of bucks I think.
 
Upvote 0
Still a great find and definitely a keeper. The mintmark on those coins is usually very light. I thought I found a 1922 no mint mark metal detecting but that weak "D" showed up under magnification. Good luck, maybe next time...Ryan
 
Cool!
I heard that pennies were minted only in Denver in 1922. So, no mint mark does not mean Philly!
Nice score!
 
still a good find! the 1922D is worth $3.50 if its in good shape. if it was the no D it would be worth $220! :o philadelphia didn't make cents in 1922. the no D was caused by a extremely weak die. there are also 1922 cents with weak D.
 
Thanks for the history on that coin. Interesting. I am learning more every day. I was an avid detectorist and coin collector growing up, but the last few years I have strayed away. Used to know all these key dates and errors, but I find I am having to learn everything all over again. Been too long I guess.....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom