What's new

Boxes 4 and 5

Scott (Mich)

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
496
Reaction score
90
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the bank to pick up box number four and the teller told me that she had an extra and I said I would take it. See if you can spot the four silver halves that were staring at me when I opened it. Three are in one box (two heads and one tails) one was in the other box (heads).

Boxes4-5s.webp

This is the result of both boxes.

Halves.webp


1 90% & 23 40% silvers and 5 clad keepers:

Ben Franklin 1952-P (1) my first Ben
1965 (2)
1966 (3)
1967 (7)
1968 (7)
1969 (4)
1987-D NIFC (1)
2001-D NIFC (3) EDIT: my bad, 2001 were released for circulation - had my years mixed up
2003-P NIFC (1)

Happy Hunting,

Scott (Mid-Mich)
 
Upvote 0
nice finds, Hey what does nifc stand for?
 
tw656 said:
nice finds, Hey what does nifc stand for?

NIFC = Not intended for circulation.

Hmm now that I think about it, I had better check on the 2001's, I cannot remember the cut-off point to when the government (US Mint) stopped releasing them for circulation and started to sell them to collectors only. I thought it was 2001 and newer but it may be 2002.
 
Nice boxes. Congrats on gig Ben. That is always a treat. 2002+ are the NIFC.
 
Nope, not 2001-P, that's a misprint in the Red Book. The latest issue of Coin World re-confirms that the NIFC dates are 2002-2007.
 
Scott,do you mean to say that you only found "3" 2001-D's in 2 boxes?

Or is that all you kept thinking they were worth something more than $.50?

An average box for me has between 20%-25%(occasionally higher) of the content being 2000 P&D & 2001 P&D :'(.

And about 1.5%-2% of content being 2002-2007.

This is only confirmed when I date check,which is rare,when I am extremely bored.Most of the time I only edge search because the only thing I keep out of boxes is silver.

I would keep the other stuff(circulated/damaged proofs) & (2002-2007) if I had a market for it and could make it worth my time to date check.Unfortunately as hard as I have tried I cannot find a dealer who will buy them :'(.

Some of the hunters who post on here have found and (I assume) kept over 15 rolls of these 2002-2007 already this year!That would definitely eat into my hunting funds...
 
schramm said:
Scott,do you mean to say that you only found "3" 2001-D's in 2 boxes?...

Actually those are the only 2001 halves I have found in all five boxes I have searched thus far. I bought my son and daughter each a coin folder so they could collect and keep track of halves. Up until this box I think we only found one half newer then 2000 and that was a 2003-D. That was why I had thought them to be "not intended for circulation".

I have kept a couple of rolls so far of uncirculated 2000's. These halves look like they never were touched. I think I have been getting about two to four rolls of 2000's in each box- everything else has mainly been 1971 to 1999 with the exception of the silvers I post in this forum.

The first three boxes I searched had a stamped inspection date of Aug '07, These last two boxes (with the above results) were dated Oct '04.

In regards to proofs, I would think those coin collectors that have the fancier albums (that include holders for proof and error coins) would want them, that way they would fill the hole until a better condition coin could be purchased. Many people that cannot afford the best start with what they can afford and upgrade later. So you may have better luck selling the circulated proofs one by one on ebay.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom