What's new

BP or BC or 'calendar years' huh?

OntarioArch

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2017
Messages
427
Reaction score
1,172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is there an easy way to convert C14 age to 'calandar years' ? A graph maybe?
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good question.... I think what it may come down to is that over time the "radiocarbon dates" recorded for many items did not match up well with other dating methods, such as determined with tree rings, ice cores, etc., and so to adjust for that, and to make typical radiocarbon dates more accurate and meaningful, they are now analyzed or decoded against the known discrepancies. I think what is happening is that say for example the Kanawha type point mentioned above from the St. Albans site was dated at approximately 7100 BC (aka. "calendar years", or 9050 BP.). They came up with figure I suspect by decoding the 6210 =/- 100BC "radiocarbon date", and determining that "radiocarbon dates" of 6210 BC really mean the object dates to about 7100BC. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
 
I can offer this chart, which helps me.....

IMG_6702.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom