Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
I found this in an old farmstead in N.C. some time ago. I pretty much think its a bore brush but not totally sure.
It's 5 inches high, 10 inches around the middle with a wiry felt like material. It has a loop on tip and a threaded portion on the bottom maybe for a threaded rod.
The only marking is a number on the loop of 8181973.
Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210109_112736.jpg
    20210109_112736.jpg
    805.9 KB · Views: 58

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cuda74 wrote:
> The only marking is a number on the loop of 8181973.

I wonder if US Patent numbers go that high. If so, do some research on it.

Cuda74 also wrote:
> Brass bore brush?

At 5 inches tall and 10-inches circumference, it can't be a bore-brush for a handgun or rifle... perhaps a cannon. But nobody would patent a cannon bore-brush. (The market would be too small.) So, I think it's much more likely that Bowwinklles guess (he said maybe) "a stove pipe/chimney brush" is the correct ID of the object. The market for that would be enormous... especially back when most people were heating their home or business with wood or coal.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a device to repair square clay tile chimney liners.
Wonder if mudding joints in round tiles/liners could be done with the round o.p.'s device?
maxresdefault.jpg

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Cuda74 wrote:
> The only marking is a number on the loop of 8181973.

I wonder if US Patent numbers go that high. If so, do some research on it.

Cuda74 also wrote:
> Brass bore brush?

At 5 inches tall and 10-inches circumference, it can't be a bore-brush for a handgun or rifle... perhaps a cannon. But nobody would patent a cannon bore-brush. (The market would be too small.) So, I think it's much more likely that Bowwinklles guess (he said maybe) "a stove pipe/chimney brush" is the correct ID of the object. The market for that would be enormous... especially back when most people were heating their home or business with wood or coal.

Hey TCBG could it be a barrel tampion?

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ffuries wrote:
> Hey TCBG could it be a barrel tampion?

That's a "reasonable" guess, my friend. But I'm sure the answer is no, not a cannonbarrel tompion... which is intended to make a waterproof seal, and this device clearly would not. Also, a tompion has a lip on its outer end, to keep it from slipping down too far inside the muzzle.

The finder says this object has a band of "wiry" felt... which sounds a material which is intended to scrub soot from the inside of a fireplace/stove's smokepipe. The wiry felt on this object does have the appearance of being black soot-stained.

The seven-digit number marked on the (metal?) loop was put there for a reason, of course. I think the number will turn out to be a major clue for correctly identifying this mystery-object. I used my US Patent Search link to see if the number is a US Patent... but Patent #8181973 was issued in 2012 for "clamping apparatus for a reciprocating tool." . I'm too brain-foggy from medication to figure how to do another version of search.

Cuda74, are you sure the number you typed in your post (8181973) is the actual number on the object?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cuda74

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.
Yep, certain that's it. Had to put my glasses on under a bright light to see it...LOL. I sure appreciate all the inputs, I can honestly say I never thought of the chimney pipe cleaner angle.
This was in the middle of a farm field of an old homestead with a bunch of cows running around. Because of the shape, when I started seeing it I thought of a grenade until I cleaned it off a bit.
Regards.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt it's anything to do with a cannon with a loop on one end. Bore swabs and brushes have to go two directions.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cuda74

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread