What's new

Brass Eyelet From?

Drmagnum

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Minelab Safari
I found this last night. Seems to be brass. The bottom is tapered in a way to make me think it would slide into a channel. Any ideas on what this was used for or a proper term for it? Thanks in advance!
 

Attachments

  • P1030027 (Small).webp
    P1030027 (Small).webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 273
  • P1030021 (Small).webp
    P1030021 (Small).webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 278
I agree it does resemble a rifle site. Here's the one from my Mosin-Nagant, you can just see the beveled portion of the block.

DSCN4038.jpg


Mike
USAF Retired
 
Upvote 0
Interesting....do rifle sights normally have a tapered ridge on the inside?
 
Upvote 0
That's an awfully big hole for a peep sight unless......there are several smaller aperture sights that can be attached to it. The picture of the rifle is showing a sight hood and not the actual sight. I collect Mosin -Nagant rifles and the sight itself is just a post that is inside the hood on tip of the barrel. An aperture sight would be on the rear of the rifle nearer the shooter. I have removed the front hoods and replaced the front post sight with a taller post made from a cut off and blued finishing nail when I want to shoot one of my old "Monsins" at a hundred yards or less. The original military sight post is too short.

I have seen objects similar to the one in question on old hasp type lock hinges. The padlock is inserted through the hole and snapped shut. I think it is likely part of a door lock hasp? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the ideas guys...I'll have to do some googling for a match!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Mystery coin
Replies
4
Views
567
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is it?
Replies
24
Views
2K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom