Brass, Glass, Lead, and Iron (a Civil War Variety Show).

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
My relic hunting season finally started last weekend. Due to weather and other factors, my season is late spring through early fall when everyone else has hung up the detector for the season. Anyway, my brother and I ventured to a remote site in hopes of some solitude and metal. We both work as psychologists, consequently our goal is maximum finds with minimum social interaction and conversation. We started in a field which has yielded minie balls in the past, however tall grass often makes for difficult conditions. This trip the grass was non-existent and the good finds surfaced quickly. The epaulette came out soon followed by some pack parts, 1/3rd of a Borman shell and a handful of bullets, soon to be followed by the Cavalry overcoat button, which has seen better days, but is what it is. After a couple of hours we transitioned into the excavation of a likely already dug privy. I am guessing it had been dug 20 years ago or so, however in the bottom corner we located some uniform pieces, with eagle button remnants and several iron and glass trouser buttons. Later, given the sheer amount of iron present everywhere, my brother decided to do some eyeballing. Although I thought it was a crazy idea, he crawled around in the dust for 20 minutes and managed a shoulder scale, round ball and a beautiful Hardee Pin on top of the ground. Treasure is where you find it I guess! To close out the hunt we went trash pit hunting and finally located one just before it was time to head out. The pit yielded a cavalry cuff, a couple of eagle coats and a nice 1860s Philadelphia Fluid Extract bottle. Still plenty more to dig there so hopefully a little more glass will surface next time. Several pieces of plantation bitters came to light and I am hopeful that a complete example remains as this has always been high on my relic hunting bucket list. Lastly from the trash pit came 2 unique items including a 58 minie ball with a trouser button melted into it as well as a piece of twisted brass that must be meaningful but I cant place. If anyone has an ID, I posted pics in a response below the post. Anyway, thanks for looking and good luck out there, dig deep.
-Ev

Attachments

• securedownload.jpeg
    securedownload.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    903.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0779.JPG
    IMG_0779.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 159
  • securedownload-1.jpeg
    securedownload-1.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 9
OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
more pics

Attachments

• IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 110

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice mix of stuff!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another great hunt for you guys. Can't believe that Hardee pin was laying right on top of the ground. I know you're anxious to get back and dig more of those early bottles from that pit. BTW - what are those 3 brass items in the bottom of pic #2? I used to know what they were but forgot. I found one of those just recently at that site that produced all those VA buttons. Must be CW-related.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow! Quite the collection! I'd like to see a better picture of the bottle if it is embossed.

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Bill,
The brass pieces are reeds from some instrument. Your right, can't wait to dig that cabin bitters :)

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, metal. If you'll take me to your spot, I promise I won't open my MOUTH! Zero social interaction.

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello metalev4. You gotta be happy with a hunt like that! Those finds will represent nice in your coolection. BTW what flavor are the ammo casings? HH C9.

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
They are .45 .70 casings from a Springfield. There are a couple Spencer casings in there as well. Thanks for the nice comments.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Evan! The Hardee hat badge is as good as they get. Your brother certainly followed his instincts to that relic. Is the bottle pontiled? Good luck on your next trip there.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet hat pin and cavalry buttons Evan and nice score on the bottle. It's good to see you out diggin' and hopefully more bottles surface for you next time.

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Picture of the 1860s H.T Ethelbond Fluid Extract Philadelphia bottle

image-849868107.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments, can't wait to get out again next month.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff Evan! One of these days I really need to make it out west and try some of that digging! Killer post and love some of the unique finds.

Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread