mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an obvious difference on the one side..small hole punched in it (earring, necklace, medal, christmas ornament. ..who knows). It was found inside of a fur trader camp with most everything dating in the early 1800s to 1860s. =CONFIG]1460222[/ATTACH] 20170608_201950.jpg

Attachments

• 20170608_201932.jpg
    20170608_201932.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 60

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mk4125....I don’t know if you can see the pics...out of focus. HINT; photograph on flat , non textured surface, good lighting.
Seems your camera is focusing the closest thing to the lens , IE, your hand. Strange position on the hole though.
Mark.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possibly a parasol rosette - fits on top of the canopy to hold it to the shaft.

Turn of the 20th C.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Depends on the application and if you need it to be rust resistant.

I looked it up and yes you are right there are brass lock washers just as there are brass springs. I imagine a different alloy is used. There is also a type where a tab is bent up to lock the nut in place.

But i dont think this is a modern lock washer, unless you can find an exact match. I would be more inclined to think its one of those parasol center pieces or maybe from a motor armature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked it up and yes you are right there are brass lock washers just as there are brass springs. I imagine a different alloy is used. There is also a type where a tab is bent up to lock the nut in place.

But i dont think this is a modern lock washer, unless you can find an exact match. I would be more inclined to think its one of those parasol center pieces or maybe from a motor armature.
I will get a better picture uploaded....I guess what is odd on this one is that the outside pattern is not the same, there is a small hole tapped through and it was found in an area with no pipes (or electricity). Thanks all for your help.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I will get a better picture uploaded....I guess what is odd on this one is that the outside pattern is not the same, there is a small hole tapped through and it was found in an area with no pipes (or electricity). Thanks all for your help.

There is a hole besides the one in the center?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The hole would make it seem like part of a necklace or adornment. this is a cool item, looks like a machine stamped item and it should be solvable. I doubt that its modern. Somebody gonna get it

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This parasol 1875 patented notch ring looks closer but still no match. Somebody maybe could search the 19th century umbrella/parasol patents

parasol clip1.JPG unkown brass.jpg parasol.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread