What is this

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this metal piece today. I am
Thinking copper.
Chinese monk maybe?
Chinese god?
Any thoughts of what it is or what it was used for?
Age?
IMG_4663.JPG
IMG_4662.JPG
IMG_4661.JPG

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....HI Mark.
Try a photo without added or background texture (no coin, no hand model) and Google the photo....many of us Google search these obscure items that way.
Fun find.
HH.....Mark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to find something like that. Very cool. I believe it is Buddha.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It most definitely is a Budda And a nice one at that

Lol I was going to say a poor Rendition of Buddha .
that shows how Little I know on that subject :laughing7:

But do agree Buddha

Upvote 0
OP
OP
neodetectorist

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the quick responses all. Definately Buddha. I looked up pictures of Buddha and there are several images depicting how Buddha looks and this is one. Can this be dated?

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick responses all. Definately Buddha. I looked up pictures of Buddha and there are several images depicting how Buddha looks and this is one. Can this be dated?
The representation of Budda changes across Asia and India from a Very Fat Jolly Budda to a more serene and Average build Budda In India the representation of Budda looks very much like a woman. It would be hard to date this without seeing it As it is very dirty in the pictures and The representation of Budda in its geographical region stayed the same for centuries. It didn't change much so you have to look at the details of construction to date it. IMO

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
....HI Mark.
Try a photo without added or background texture (no coin, no hand model) and Google the photo....many of us Google search these obscure items that way.
Fun find.
HH.....Mark.

Someday in the future 4x4x4 the Google Image search will work properly and knowlege will be obsolete. Im not looking forward to that day..

Right now the image search is copying color and very few successful IDers utilize the Google image search feature because it doesnt work yet. Everyone would have to use the same background color. Although white does not take the best photos its will probably be the color of choice. But like I say Im not really looking forward to that day when it works properly. Thinking about it, the What Is It Forum could also become obsolete. So enjoy it while we can and hopefully it will take many years for the Google Image search to make the correct IDs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That being said I cant stop progress. If the OP wants to take another photo per your instructions, I guess it wouldnt hurt to try. But the proper way to photograph an unkown item here is just the way he did it, front and back, with a coin in the picture for size reference.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The best way to Google search IMO would be to type "antique copper Buddha" or antique "copper Buddha" and try different variations, different words like old OR vintage. You might try adding words like small or patina. And of course any markings or engravings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Until we find a match online or someone recognizes it, the best we can tell you is that its machine stamped.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm guessing it's the front off somebody's pendant for luck or protection.

1970's? 80's? Not super old...

s-l225.jpg

Upvote 0

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That being said I cant stop progress. If the OP wants to take another photo per your instructions, I guess it wouldnt hurt to try. But the proper way to photograph an unkown item here is just the way he did it, front and back, with a coin in the picture for size reference.

Bigcypresshunter.....you certainly took my suggestion out of context. The suggestion was simply for a Google Image search....NOT a suggestion to post here . Please reread my post carefully.
With all due respect and no fluff,
Mark.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bigcypresshunter.....you certainly took my suggestion out of context. The suggestion was simply for a Google Image search....NOT a suggestion to post here . Please reread my post carefully.
With all due respect and no fluff,
Mark.

OK I hear you but I think you are certainly missing my point. I dont think the Google Image will help and I was unaware that "many of us search these obscure items that way." We ID items from knowledge, experience or by Googling key words, not with the Google Image search.

....HI Mark.

Mark this isnt the first time you suggested that the item for size reference was a problem with the Google Image search and I understand this. I understand perfectly that you are searching with the Google Image feature and the size reference messes it up And there is nothing wrong with that, if it really works. But I want to ask, have you ever Ided anything using this method? Do you know of anybody here at TN that has IDed an item using that method? That being said, it would be stu-pid for me to stand in the way of technology and I realize that someday the technology of the Google Image search will be better. Not sure your following me but I even went on to predict that someday this forum may even be obsolete and I think someday we will no longer have to use our brain, because computers will do it for us.

I hope I havent offended you. And Im certainly always willing to learn. Technology is moving fast. Maybe we could do a little test. Lets ask the OP to re-post the item so we can do a Google Image test. What color do you prefer as the background Mark?

Maybe it will work and you will be credited with improving this forum. Im serious. With all due respect lets do the test to see if it works. :icon_thumright:

Sincerely

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
neohidetectorist are you following this conversation? are you up for the test? Maybe it will help :dontknow:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Im playing around with your Google Image Search, 4x4x4, and I can see the benefit. It may help in some circumstances. If it works, we would be best to get a moderator to change the What Is It Forum instructions to include 1 picture without a size reference for this type of searching. Good luck with that. For years we insisted on a size reference for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the heads up 4x4x4 :icon_thumright:

Now if we can get the OP to re-post a photo without the size reference or hand, we can try it..

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Google image search identifies it as a statue. So I changed the word statue to copper and these are the results . https://www.google.com/search?tbs=s...Hk7LXUAhWIKWMKHdGtDZQQsw4INA&biw=1344&bih=736

Unless Im doing something wrong, the Google Image Search is in this case is useless for the Id.

I typed in copper pendant and it gets even worse. https://www.google.com/search?tbs=s...NA&biw=1344&bih=736#tbm=isch&q=copper+pendant

It may help in some cases but the technology is not there yet for an image search. The best way to search Google is to simply type in key words and search

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread