Brass Plate

Dyflam

Oct 30, 2004
Just checking to see if anyone can help me identify this artifact. It was found in New Smyrna Beach, FL about 10 years ago under some sand on the shore of the Indian River. Also in the same location in water about 4 feet deep was a piece of eight. Thanks for your help. The painting is dated 1768. I think there may have been a spanish mission in that location.

Guadalupe_web.jpg

Piece%20of%20Eight%2002_web.jpg

Piece%20of%20Eight%2001_web.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dyflam

Oct 30, 2004
For anyone interested I found out the painting is of Our Lady of Guadalupe, patron saint of the Americas. Makes me think there must have been a mission in the area. History around the late 1700's is a little vague for that location.

Upvote 0

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The folks here are interested Dyflam (your topic = 90+ views) they just sometimes have a strange way of showing it. Those are some excellent finds! Dont know much about paintings, but that might be worth some big $$$. That piece of eight is way cool! I would keep at that spot and see if theres more. Great job and keep on digging 8)

Upvote 0

rupsul

Nov 11, 2004
Amazing stuff. I'm very jelous. I'm amazed how well that painting has lasted... or could it have lasted that lont in that enviroment? I have been to the island of Guadalupe so it is really cool.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dyflam

Oct 30, 2004
Thanks for the feedback guys. I know this is an unusual artifact. The difficulty is locating the right person to identify it. There are a couple of avenues I'm checking out. I'll let you know.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there Dyflam,nice finds,could you give us a few more details about this brass plate,perhaps the dimensoins,weight,thickness?Also you say it is dated 1768,I'm guessing that there are no other markings anywhere on it?Are you still in the area(central Fl. coast)?If so, I will try to help steer you to the right person/s,i'll ask around my own circle of colleagues,we'll try to help ya out.Keep us posted in the meantime,good luck and H.H.!P.S.-welcome to THE site!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dyflam

Oct 30, 2004
Thanks diggummup.

Dimensions: approx. 2in X 4in
Thickness: approx. .05in
Weight: a few oz.

In addition to the date there is what I believe to be the artist's name but I can't make it out.

I live in Palm Bay, FL, so yeah, still in central Florida coast.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

mavrick03

Sep 29, 2004
Stafford Va
at thoese dimensions i would have to say that it was maybe part of the inside of a pendant or the inside of what used to be a small picture in a frame that would be my guess.

Mav

Upvote 0

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dyflam, just a word of caution. Not too sure about FL law, but I thought everything found belongs to the state in some way shape or form? Look around on this forum and I'm sure the FL guys can give you the heads up on detecting laws in FL. As far as I'm concerned, they can go take a flying leap, but be cautious about who you enlist to give you help on i.d.ing it if you want to keep it. Maybe I'm way off base, but there are alot of folks out there that don't see it the way I do. 8)

Upvote 0
T

treaser hunta

I think it was from a old church. But why would it be brass? What color was it when you found it?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread