Bama Billy
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Apr 2, 2018
- Messages
- 262
- Reaction score
- 503
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Central Alabama
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Safari
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting

So what you guys are saying is that nearly 70 years ago somebody went through the trouble and expense to survey this property. After that they cast a bronze puck to stamp all the info on it AND THEN they buried it a foot in the ground? That makes zero sense to me. Also do you really think anybody would get 6 months hard labor for digging up something on private property?? I’m all for doing things the right way but I can’t help but think you guys are being a little extreme on this one. I couldn’t be worried less about a fine or hard labor.
So what you guys are saying is that nearly 70 years ago somebody went through the trouble and expense to survey this property. After that they cast a bronze puck to stamp all the info on it AND THEN they buried it a foot in the ground? That makes zero sense to me. Also do you really think anybody would get 6 months hard labor for digging up something on private property?? I’m all for doing things the right way but I can’t help but think you guys are being a little extreme on this one. I couldn’t be worried less about a fine or hard labor.

Now all that makes plenty of sense. Although let me add this, the property hasn’t had any dirt work at this spot in at least 50yrs AND the nearest road is close to a half mile away. This spot is on the very back corner of the property. Seems like a very odd place for the state to put it, I assumed it was dropped by someone at some point and that it wasn’t in its correct spot when I found it.This isn't the kind of monument that qualifies for penalties, as far as I know.
The markers and monuments that you can't (or shouldn't move) are clearly marked as such.
Anyway, as for how the marker got to where it was found, there are several possibilities.
One is that it was simply covered over during construction of the road. (i.e., in the way, no longer needed, and not worth recovering beforehand). Just bulldozed over.
Another possibility is that leftover fill dirt from the original road construction (or even its later re-construction) made it's way onto the property where it was eventually found.
Also, this wasn't a "specially cast" bronze puck. It's a blank puck that was hand-stamped in the field.
They probably had dozens of them on the survey truck.
For that matter, I suppose (although it seems unlikely) that this was a mis-stamped puck, and whoever screwed it up simply whizzed it off in some random direction like a Frisbee, never to be seen again. Except you found it!![]()
But to your point, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
It's not quite as important a marker as say..., the Four Corners Monument.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Corners_Monument
Edit: I should also add that occasionally you'll come across something called a "Witness Marker".
These often look similar, but they are not marking the original point.
Either the original marker got disturbed, or maybe a building, freeway, man-made lake, etc... covered it over.
In that case, the surveyors will erect a new marker (i.e., a witness marker) that is surveyed to a known exact position from the original marker.

One near me
I would indeed NEVER deface or destroyed anyone’s property or that of the government be it local or federal. Im a veteran of this fine country. It wasn’t attached to anything at all, I flipped the plug and it was stuck to the bottom and I rechecked the hole and got nothing. I’m not arguing WHAT it is just that it wasn’t where it belonged. I doubt the state would do all that surveying and then just dig a hole and throw it in there. In 1950 that sucker would have been awfully hard to find.I think the point being missed here is that clearly, the Bronze Survey disk, was apparently not connected to any Spike, or Concrete Pillar when found, and was therefore no longer a viable Benchmark, Survey Point of Reference, or whatever it was originally intended to be, when found by the original poster.
Maybe he can confirm this.
He clearly did not know what it was, and though I doubt that a detectorist would have willfully destroyed anything they found in the ground.
Again, Just my opinion.
I would indeed NEVER deface or destroyed anyone’s property or that of the government be it local or federal. Im a veteran of this fine country. It wasn’t attached to anything at all, I flipped the plug and it was stuck to the bottom and I rechecked the hole and got nothing. I’m not arguing WHAT it is just that it wasn’t where it belonged. I doubt the state would do all that surveying and then just dig a hole and throw it in there. In 1950 that sucker would have been awfully hard to find.