✅ SOLVED Brass tack? (Solution: Saw bolt or rivet)

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this is probably just some generic piece of hardware, but I'm hoping someone might know more about exactly what it is or what it was used for. Found at a late 1800's home site. It's shaped like a tack or possibly a cufflink -- a half inch flat disc with beveled edge and a square post in the back. It's probably copper or brass, feels solid and heavy, does not stick to a magnet (it had a TID of 84 on the Deus II, and a slight red patina, which is common for copper and brass here). The square shank seems complete but I can't be sure. And I can't make out any writing or pattern or anything on either side of it. It seems too short to be useful as a fastener, and being made of copper or brass seems odd for a fastener as well. Does anyone know what it really is?

Front, side, and back.

IMG_3050.jpeg IMG_3051.jpeg IMG_3052.jpeg

I looked up antique saw hardware and I see a bunch of things that do look very similar, and brass seems to be a popular material. Some of them look just like this one except where the square part ends, there would be a round threaded part. I can't tell if this one is broken at that point or not, but I'm thinking it probably is, and the threaded part just got broken off. So I think @pepperj nailed it. (So to speak, since it would have been a screw.). I'm calling it solved. Thanks!

Upvote 1
I remember using these also:
That led me to some searches for antique rivets, and there are some that seem really close. Except I couldn't see any with a square pin -- all the examples I saw were round. But aside from that, this definitely seems to fit "countersunk rivet".

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back