What's new

Brass Tag with "88" Inscribed

Ed-D

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
429
Reaction score
810
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brass Tag with "88" Inscribed

I found this with my AT Pro in a local park. The park isn't very old but it was once farm land and there is a pond that used to be the tank. It's made of brass and weighs exactly 2.0 ounces; measures 2.5"x2.0" (at it's widest point). It registers a steady 90 on my AT Pro and previously I found a hefty fuel nozzle made of brass which registered an steady 89.

You can tell the "88" used to be painted black.

Guesses? I'm not a farmer but could this be a bull's ear tag?
 

Attachments

  • 88.webp
    88.webp
    81.1 KB · Views: 372
Re: Brass Tag with "88" Inscribed

Yes I think its an animal tag.
 

Attachments

  • animal marker tags.webp
    animal marker tags.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0
Re: Brass Tag with "88" Inscribed

Yup. It's a livestock tag. I wonder how old it is. My guess is pre-1950's based on the history of when cattle were last on the land.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Brass Tag with "88" Inscribed

The ad I posted is from the turn of the century. (1900)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom