What's new

✅ SOLVED Brass Thingamajiggers

zombieraccoon

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2017
Messages
307
Reaction score
464
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180326_152808.webp
20180326_145419.webp
20180326_145351.webp
only one is marked "AO-179 WFFO"
guy said they were old scale weights but i highly doubt that. Big one is 13oz, others are 3-3.5oz

Bought them not knowing what they were, figure worst case it is 4lbs of scrap brass for $3
 

Attachments

  • 20180326_145346.webp
    20180326_145346.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Thingamajiggers, huh, an obvious hybrid of the rare thingamawhatsis and a whutchamajigger. I’ll allow it.

JD- capt. Slang police
 
Upvote 0
BTW, I have no idea what them thingerz iz
 
Upvote 0
I don't know what they are - but google brought this up from the ships alumni group on facebook.
Perhaps cast mementos after decommissioning or parts of the ship?

USS Merrimack (AO-179).

The" W.F.F.O."
The World's Finest Fleet Oiler!

I would contact the alumni group for ID. I did send a photo to the group.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you, I kept seeing refernces to the ship by that numver, but didnt see that the WFFO would also be related. In that context, the larger one looks an awful lot like an oil drum
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know what they are - but google brought this up from the ships alumni group on facebook.
Perhaps cast mementos after decommissioning or parts of the ship?

USS Merrimack (AO-179).

The" W.F.F.O."
The World's Finest Fleet Oiler!

I would contact the alumni group for ID. I did send a photo to the group.

WTG Molewacker! You nailed it. Replace "Fleet" with a different F-word, for the actual motto.
 
Upvote 0
I'll let you know what I hear from the group. little oil drums huh? Sound right!
 
Upvote 0
Thank you ! Just the big one looks like an oil drum. still not sure in the others.

It might be that your seller missed the oil drum as a memento, not related to the rest, which I have no idea of - :)
 
Upvote 0
certainly possible. i just figured they coukd not be weights because they are all the same size more or less. and dont look like weight sets i have bought in the past.
 
Upvote 0
certainly possible. i just figured they coukd not be weights because they are all the same size more or less. and dont look like weight sets i have bought in the past.

If they were weights, they would be stamped with that weight. I think they are "pigs". Objects sent through the pipes periodically to clear them of obstructions and crud. They're all the same diameter, right? That would be the inside diameter of the pipes.
 
Upvote 0
Info from Uss Merrimack alumni facebook - one member is interested if you will sell any

Tom Frost - Oil barrel is correct. Somewhere between the timeframe of 87 and 89 manufactured by our MR as requested by our Chief Engineer, NATO Ops if I recall


Marty Haugen - WFFO Barrels. Given to ships along side.
 
Upvote 0
Awesome ! I dont have a facebook account, but would certainly give first dibs to anyone who served on the ship.
 
Upvote 0
Last piece of info - MR3 Paul Pate is the one that made them, LCDR Mike Felmly placed the order, ~300

Trial and error in the first few attempts are the other unmarked pieces - alumni post


I think you should mark this thread SOLVED!
 
Upvote 0
Thank you so much Molewhacker for finding the right person to get these too, you really made someones day !
 
Upvote 0
To anyone watching this, the OP has connected with a alumni from the USS Merrimack (AO-179).

The sailor has been searching for a true memento of his service aboard for years - OP has made his day, sending the brass for costs.

Not quite a honorable mention, but I see good karma coming his way for his unselfish gesture!

Yay internet!!!!
 
Upvote 0
To anyone watching this, the OP has connected with a alumni from the USS Merrimack (AO-179).

The sailor has been searching for a true memento of his service aboard for years - OP has made his day, sending the brass for costs.

Not quite a honorable mention, but I see good karma coming his way for his unselfish gesture!

Yay internet!!!!

Could not have done it without your help, That karma is every bit as much yours to share. Thank you !
 
Upvote 0
Thank you!!

View attachment 1569662
View attachment 1569641
View attachment 1569642
only one is marked "AO-179 WFFO"
guy said they were old scale weights but i highly doubt that. Big one is 13oz, others are 3-3.5oz

Bought them not knowing what they were, figure worst case it is 4lbs of scrap brass for $3


It’s hard to describe the connection to these seemingly small and unassuming pieces of brass. After years of searching for a keepsake from our ship, I had given up. When I spoke with Steve, my journey felt complete. I can’t thank you enough. I salute your diligence and am in your debt.
 
Upvote 0
It’s hard to describe the connection to these seemingly small and unassuming pieces of brass. After years of searching for a keepsake from our ship, I had given up. When I spoke with Steve, my journey felt complete. I can’t thank you enough. I salute your diligence and am in your debt.

Thanks for visiting the forums, So glad the pieces were related, I figured the drum would be something cool, but the other pieces I honestly thought were unrelated and random scrap. I almost posted the drum without them. crazy how small the world can get sometimes. Happy you found what you have been looking for. And thank you Molewacker for making it happen.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom