What's new

Brass whats it???

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2007
Messages
3,295
Reaction score
2,665
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vicksburg Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brass what's it???

about 3" long. looks like maybe two went together? Has a small hole where the white circle is filled in. Also looks like a cable or rope may have gone in the groove?
What say you???

Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00042.webp
    DSC00042.webp
    14 KB · Views: 589
  • DSC00043.webp
    DSC00043.webp
    14 KB · Views: 585
Re: Brass what's it???

It looks like an old window sash pulley, or for a curtain cord, but I'll keep looking. :icon_scratch:

EDIT: Nothing yet, but another thing came to mind, perhaps it's off a flag pole? :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Brass what's it???

I agree, it does look like a rope or cable passed through the holes, wrapping around the object. Two back-to-back make sense, but then how would you join them together? I thought it might be a stanchion cap from a ship's railing. It looks like a pole or pipe went into the bottom. Then it occured to me that it might go over a trailer ball hitch. None of my solutions seem to be a fit, but they might help in the process of elimination. Good luck!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Brass what's it???

I'm not sure what it is, but a U-bolt could have gone through the two holes and saddled itself across the grooved part.

I've messed with some antique house hardware, and I've never seen anything like it. I don't think it is a sash pully or sash part of any kind.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: Brass what's it???

its half of of a wire type cable clamp * (brass is often used since it does not rust)-- the cable's end was folded back upon itself forming a looped end ---then this part was placed it the area where the 2 wires ran side by side (normally at least 2 sets of clamps are used- spaced a bit apart from one another ) ---a U shaped bolt that had threaded ends went thru the holes---- then another flat bar type part wth holes in it was placed on the other side of the two wiresand the nuts were put on and tightened down to press the wires together , :wink: :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Brass what's it???

Tipping the old rebel-gray Artilleryman's kepi to Clovis97, who's comment got me to thinking and theorizing...
Notice that the cavity in the object appears to be perfectly-round. Because (as Engineers say) "form follows function," there's got to be an important "function" reason for the cavity's roundness. The object looks to me like part of the socket for an antique automotive ball-joint. The purpose of the small hole in it might have been to allow the injection of lubricating grease.

Could this turn out to be another of the various Model-T Ford (or other very-antique car) parts which TreasureNet diggers keep finding? :)

Here's a "cross-section" view of a more modern automotive ball-joint.
 

Attachments

  • Ball_joint_cross_section.webp
    Ball_joint_cross_section.webp
    5.3 KB · Views: 420
Upvote 0
Re: Brass what's it???

well if it has a white "grease" fitting hole-- a brass ball joint cover could be it . forget about the extra hole --hummm
 
Upvote 0
Re: Brass what's it???

Is yours broken on one side?

Im moving some of the pics here because I think they are for the same purpose. It appears that the 2 halves may be held together by the clamp clovis mentioned..
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0502.webp
    DSCN0502.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 462
  • DSCN0503.webp
    DSCN0503.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 447
  • DSCN0504.webp
    DSCN0504.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 449
Upvote 0
Re: Brass what's it???

Where did you find this Mike? Was it near a lake or on a farm?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Brass what's it???

I have found one just like this at my old home place. I would like to know myself. In the mean time I will keep looking.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom