Breaking news air test are stupid, lol

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks this in no way tells how a detector performs, depth and all else. I’m just stating this information give false information. Look nobody detects in open air , maybe I should swing in the air upwards in sky versus in the ground. I’m not insulting anyone but this doesn’t help determine anything open air and free of obstruction. Ok just so many videos and I say come on this isn’t how it works folks unless detecting is in the open air, let me no what you find swinging upwards above your head. I find this stupid

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, but if someone is using an air test to hear the tones a certain object gives it can be helpful or if they are doing it to see the numbers certain coins read it is useful. I will lay mine on my bed and put a mirror so I can see the display numbers when checking 1982 pennies to see if they are copper or zinc since both were made. I don't want to go out and bury them all again to see the number, when I can do an air test to see.( zincs 75 copper 80-82) so there are circumstances when an air test is valid and useful.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree for the numbers but you don’t always get the same number the farther away the coin get specific in ground condition it’s not consistent, sounds reflective that way to. So when you wave a coin or whatever in open air one inch away and go farther away the tone will change, and number to not always but yes it does so, unfortunately you must did almost everything because as of yesterday passed over an 1905 dime few times because of this very information, just trying to help everyone. It’s a fact you have passed over many fine objects because of these most uncertain patterns, thankyou

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Air tests are soo helpful when you are trying to match a piece of jewelry or something... especially if it isn't very deep. It's also nice just to get a feel for a machine you've never used before. Yes... I know target ID is not accurate, I dig everything as well.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some Detectors Today Analyze the Ground at the same time they send the signal in order to achieve the best
depth and i.d. that's also why slow is better , and depth is deeper on buried targets.
it's not all halo effect, but that changes things also.

your correct the treasures we seek aren't floating above ground.

these days I consider an air Test to Mean the Detector is working & the Minimum depth is the air Between
Coin & Coil not maximum depth.

Like Noah said an Air Test can be helpful when looking for a Matching Lost piece of Jewelry
to alert your ears to the sound

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the opinions, that’s what made America great at onetime, everyone’s opinions matter. It’s a start but I always here go slow the good stuffs deep. I say my friend appreciate the information one problem most machine don’t got that type of detecting ability, remember this folks not all coins and relics etc are laying flay which means anything else is a bleak tone which isn’t what it would be otherwise, thanks

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I may ask, I’m not talking trashy soil, what in your opinion is the best coils for depth can that question be answered easy

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD coils

I used a 15'WOT For Years on my Sovereign & Even in Trashy Soil no Matter the Size DD coils Win over Concentric imo

Would you Rather send a Funnel Shaped signal into the ground that gets Smaller the deeper ?

Or a Wide Paint Brush Type signal ? less overlap needed in swings

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air tests are good to see if a machine will turn on or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread