DesertTumbleweed402 said:
So I got a call back from the bank and they told me that they re-counted the coins and ran some tests and that the machine was indeed accurate in its count from yesterday. Now what has me wondering is that could I have been shorted the $70 some dollars when I picked up the halves and not when I dropped them off?
Hmmm, we have a mystery here. If you assume the bank is correct with what they told you then you have the loss happening someplace else.
You may have already done this, but if not, I would check where the halves were when you were taking them home. Is it possible that some rolls fell out and are in your car?
If they are not in the vehicle you used to transport them to or from the bank then they might be at the place where you did the searching.
If you check everywhere and still come up with nothing there may be a chance there is a thief about. Years ago this person at my church used to rob the ladies purses. How she operated without being caught for so long was that she never took all of the money. If there was $100 in a purse she would grab a twenty. This way the person would think "gee I must be remembering incorrectly" and never realize they were robbed. What happened is that she got too greedy and too many people talked to each other about some missing money. They suspected who it was and set a trap and caught her. The thief's undoing was that she would always have to get up in the middle of a meeting and have to go use the restroom or something, thereby getting access to the place where the ladies left their purses. Why the ladies did not keep their purses within sight is unknown to me - maybe it was how things were with the older generation, more trusting and all.
I may sound a bit paranoid but I never search rolls if my wife or kids have any visitors. I do trust all of my friends but people do talk to other people and the last thing I want known to all my neighbors is that I search coins.
If there are no lost rolls or a thief the only thing to do is carefully count your dumps, then take them to the bank and see for yourself how accurate the coin counter is.
Good Luck,
Scott (MI)