British Military ??

NickA17

Jul 21, 2023
Any help identifying would be appreciated. I dug this item the other day and from what I can get off of it is the stamp “B.B.” “IV” and the British broad arrow stamp. Not sure if anyone can assist me with this what it was used for. Thanks in advance.
IMG_4324.jpeg
IMG_4325.jpeg

Upvote 6

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting for sure! Someone on here will know.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

I have no idea what that is but, yes, the broad arrow (pheon) mark denotes it as British Crown property/Government issue and is mostly seen on military equipment (but not exclusively so).

In addition to the 'B.B. IV' mark there appears to a maker mark that looks like it might be 'W CO' in monogram style, but I don't know who that might be.

On the side, there also seems to be a letter 'Z'. Crown property items from WWII often have a date letter and 'Z' was used in 1945, although the letter is usually below or in the same field as the broad arrow.

OP
OP
NickA17

NickA17

Jul 21, 2023
Welcome to Tnet.

I have no idea what that is but, yes, the broad arrow (pheon) mark denotes it as British Crown property/Government issue and is mostly seen on military equipment (but not exclusively so).

In addition to the 'B.B. IV' mark there appears to a maker mark that looks like it might be 'W CO' in monogram style, but I don't know who that might be.

On the side, there also seems to be a letter 'Z'. Crown property items from WWII often have a date letter and 'Z' was used in 1945, although the letter is usually below or in the same field as the broad arrow.
Awesome. Thanks for information! The permission is an old church and mausoleum. I know that one of the buried occupants was a high ranking officer in George Washington’s Army. I know that this relic is not that old but now I’m just curious about the British history and how it ended up here.

OP
OP
NickA17

NickA17

Jul 21, 2023

Attachments

• IMG_4332.mov
    828.3 KB
  • IMG_4334.jpeg
    IMG_4334.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4335.jpeg