What's new

broke bannerstones

SCrocks

Hero Member
Joined
May 11, 2013
Messages
954
Reaction score
1,554
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the broke bannerstones I picked up over the years from S.C.
100_1144.webp100_1146.webp100_1143.webp100_1147.webp100_1149.webp100_1148.webp100_1153.webp100_1158.webp
 
Upvote 0
Quite a few
Seems that's all I've been able to find..aside from a small simple one.
 
It always amazes me as to how small in diameter the atlatl shaft was, a certain degree of flexibility must have been very important for flight and the banner stones slid along the shaft until the right oscillations were found to get it there accurately.
They must have been very important, just imagine how hard they worked to make one.
 
Most of it steatite/soapstone?? When I was in college in Spartanburg we'd go out of town, not far, to a river that had soapstone outcroppings on the hill one side of the river and across the river was bottomland that would spit up quartz and slate goodies when farmed. The outcrop had so many places where pieces were taken off. Funny at the time I thought a lot of the stuff removed was recent, like by artists!?!?!....it wasn't. I still have some chunks of that soapstone, most of it was greenish with rusty colored inclusions but some is cleaner. Looks just like your material. Those are some great pieces! Oh Lordy I would like to dive that river near that spot!
 
Quite a handful of brokes, so any whole or near complete pieces? Guessing you may have stumbled across a few with that many brokes.
Thanks for sharing those.
 
I have a question about bannerstone uses. If they were used for atlatl weights why were they made from such beautiful stone and highly polished? They seem ornamental. Just wondering...
 
Many were simple.
In my opinion men haven't changed much.. wouldn't you want the best atlatl and kill the biggest game?
Then there was ceremonies also.
There is no question about their use.
 
Last edited:
S.C.,
They are very nice, even a broken one is quite a trophy...Love your stuff.
Congrats,
Steve
 
Did you notice that the one in the bottom left picture was anciently broken and then salvaged by drilling small holes in it to tie it back together? Only one small hole is showing in your piece but if you find the opposite half and match them up there will be a hole straight across from the one showing in your piece.
 
Thanks for the comments- Yes a couple pieces have salvage holes drilled. Guess it took so long to make they tried to keep them as long as possible. Tom I don't live to far from Pacolet were the soapstone outcroppings are. About half of those are soapstone in the first pictures. Here's a few found by some friends on some sites we hunt. The last two are the the only whole ones I have found.
DSC00270.webpDSC00271.webpDSC00318.webpDSC00319.webpDSC00315.webp040.webp039.webp100_1091.webp
 
Thanks for the comments- Yes a couple pieces have salvage holes drilled. Guess it took so long to make they tried to keep them as long as possible. Tom I don't live to far from Pacolet were the soapstone outcroppings are. About half of those are soapstone in the first pictures. Here's a few found by some friends on some sites we hunt.






"The last two are the the only whole ones I have found."
Holy @#$%, those are awesome...
Is the third one not drilled thru?
Your finds are really special......
Steve
Congrats..
 
Looks like it broke right before they finished drilling on one of the pieces= The big butterfly preform was not drilled=Thanks
 
I've read about banner stones that were not drilled. They say those would have been tied on. Has anyone got any examples of one like that? I'd love to see a picture.
 
and i know how hard it is to get pics of them as well to show they are banners, awesome legs u must have lol
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom