Broken Native Tool?

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I mostly metal detect along sandy beaches and rivers banks. Often I come across stones that COULD have been "worked" by local Chinook people. More often than not, your kind advice leads me to place the rock into my growing stone garden. This one was found in Lewis River, Wa. Not near any Reservation or active tribal lands. The Chinooks fished and flourished in the area for centuries. This item was originally part of a round flat river stone. What caught my eye was the "sanded" worn lip and different shading to the inner face of the stone. Maybe it was used to scrape dirt/sand? Maybe item were grinded and over time stained the inside? Can you help me (again). Thanks in advance!

3C7213A9-67FF-48CA-95C5-D2FA786E88B5.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello friend. I don't know what the dark stain is but my opinion is that piece is a concretion (a geofact) worn by moving water.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm not seeing it either. The Chinook would have used wood to make the sort of scraping tool you are thinking of.

OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick answer. I really do have a nice garden lined with river stones!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread