Mississippian Points

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these a week ago walking the same site where I found the charred stuff from another recent post. Look to be three little Clarksvilles and a Madison (a Levanna for you boys above the Mason-Dixon Line). Beyond the points themselves, what got my blood going was that I only walked down the ridge and back once (100 yards total) and left with these points, a tip, and a small handful of pottery. Not bad for a real quick walk. Hadn?t given this spot much attention before but will be hitting it hard again soon. One of my brothers hit it the next day and found another Clarksville! Thanks for looking and stay out the heat

One other thing that I think is cool to add: I found the one on the right as I was walking a 50lb bag of jap millet to a duck impoundment. When I got there I realized I forgot my knife, so I whipped out that little sucker, cut open the bag, and made him relevant yet again. Couldn?t have done it without him

E1B43AB1-2742-4B36-8663-E4E01400A1EE.jpeg

Upvote 0

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Triangle Points. I would agree with Madison as the Type.

Levanna and Madison Triangle Points are designated as two different types with overlapping date ranges.
Both type diagnostics have an extremely wide range of distribution and go by various name identities in different regions.
My understanding is that Madison Triangles are generally Isosceles at half as wide as long. They are smaller in comparison to Levanna and thinner in comparison and just as well made. When resharpened a smaller equal lateral triangle will sometimes result.
There is evidence that these were the next technological improvement of the Levanna Arrowhead.

The Levanna Triangle Projectile Point is generally an Equal Lateral triangle. It is thicker and yet very well made. Resharpening sometimes produces an Isosceles but a two to one ratio would be quite rare. There is solid evidence that these points were utilized for spear or Harpoon and Bow fishing.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1626535316.571715.jpg

The Madison Projectile Point has been called a true War Arrow Point. It is somewhat rare in New England. A Triangle Type widely utilized here in New England during the Madison time period elsewhere is the Squibnocket Triangle which has Uniquely different diagnostic features. Top point is a Squibnocket Triangle. Bottom two are Madison Triangles. Madison Base Width is very consistent at 3/4 inch.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1626535351.961739.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MA that is really cool, and I didn’t know that about Madisons actually being designated as a war point—Thanks for sharing. There are so many types of triangles and identifying each is both fun and a task.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you mean. I took a quick visit to Projectile Points Of Virginia and saw that you have no shortage of triangle types to hunt and identify.
And just to make it more difficult there seems to be a lot of overlap in time periods between them. I suspect there may be a few triangles getting more than one identification.

I apologize for dropping so much info on your post. I felt it was worth noting differences and the historical lore I?ve read regarding Levanna and Madison type Points. I should have noted that your Clarksville ID maybe the best designation based on your Virginia region.

BTW finding that many on top and so close together is a clue to the mystery of that site. Can?t wait to see what you find.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The triangle points around me and down in the ozarks are jug hill, potentially I?m not sure if that?s been fully accepted but that?s what I call mine. I was wondering how you told the difference between a Levanna and Madison that was some helpful info ma.

OP
OP
Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MA--it is for that reason I post stuff on here. I appreciate you and others taking the time to tell me something I'd otherwise not be aware of. Thanks man! This is good stuff.

Otherwise, my dad has a few frames with a bunch of different triangle points found over the years around here and yes it can be confusing as I also believe folks out there like to split hairs concerning the identification of triangles so their opinion can be relevant. I'll be sure to keep everyone here updated as the story of this 1/2 acre unfolds. Time to dig and sift!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread