Bronze cannon site

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love detailed reports like that, it should all be easily accessible and public knowledge. The Atocha scatter is very interesting, a lot of things going on for a large area. Margarita seems to be a little more cut and dry if you will. The link you provided gave a picture of exactly its position in relation to the Marquesas, something I’ve been curious about for a long time. Seeing it on a detailed overlayed map is wonderful.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a cannon I cast a few years back... It weights about 35 pounds and has a one

inch bore.. It is a direct copy [well, almost] of a signal gun I found plans for.

It took a while to get it correct [always cast vertically] and even longer to bore it out.. but it fires very nicely

Micheal
cannon.JPG

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a cannon I cast a few years back... It weights about 35 pounds and has a one

inch bore.. It is a direct copy [well, almost] of a signal gun I found plans for.

It took a while to get it correct [always cast vertically] and even longer to bore it out.. but it fires very nicely

Micheal View attachment 1987817
I will help out with some bronze cannon pours this winter in keywest.....still getting the infrastructure in place !! I love your mahogany gun carriage also !! Very nice work.....from one bart to another !!

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will help out with some bronze cannon pours this winter in keywest.....still getting the infrastructure in place !! I love your mahogany gun carriage also !! Very nice work.....from one bart to another !!
I would love to see some examples when you have them finished.. Any idea of how many pounds they will be?

Also.. I did some research into cannon bronze.. 88% copper, 8–10% tin, and 2–4% zinc is an approximation.. I do not remember my exact ratios... but it is in this area.

Are you going to use propane or coke as the heat source?

Many thanks for taking the time to reply

Micheal

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see some examples when you have them finished.. Any idea of how many pounds they will be?

Also.. I did some research into cannon bronze.. 88% copper, 8–10% tin, and 2–4% zinc is an approximation.. I do not remember my exact ratios... but it is in this area.

Are you going to use propane or coke as the heat source?

Many thanks for taking the time to reply

Micheal
We are using propane, and our crucible is 70 pounds. Previous pours have yielded 65 pounders !! Our plugs are made from native keys mahogany!! Ill gather up some pics and hope to get some new pics as soon as we get working again !!

Fredy Williams

Dec 27, 2016
Ohio, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Right now AT Max, A Technics Omega 8500
minlab705 Gold, whites, garret ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brass and bronz is going for 3.75 a pound. If you don't scrape them sell to a museum and ask them to fund you dive site. May be silver and maybe gold down there. You will never know unless you go looking I would surely get one and research the markings and claim the site

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread